• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tailored gi

lordtariel

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how expensive(ballpark) it is to have a gi hemmed and fitted at a tailor as I'd probably bleed to death trying to do it myself. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had mine hemmed pretty cheap, about 20-25 bucks. It's a small shop run by a nice Korean couple in Atlanta who liked me so much they tried to set me up with their daughter. She was pretty cute.

My wife wouldn't go for it, though. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Ahh...tailored and tailored, two different things. :)

However, shouldn't be much - 10-20 euros/dollars is pretty surely enough.

Next time, get a tailor made do-gi? :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

- hemming pants is one thing

- getting your gi fitted is another

I would imagine that hemming pants would be in the 10-15 dollar range anything higher and they are just ripping you off.

The gi on the other hand can be a little difficult. Getting your Gi fitted would be like getting a sport coat refitted if you lost weight (or gained it) they would have to more than likely resconstruct the gi itself by taking out the seams and resewing them.

That would probably 30 dollars on up.

On my gi, I hemmed the sleeves to 3/4 sleeves. That didn't cost much at all.

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

• 3 weeks later...

I constantly have my gi's altered in length..both pants and sleeves. That in itself is relatively inexpensive. However, I did get a custom/tailored fit gi made several years back through Satori gi company, and it cost me $130US. Satori is a Canadian company. Its one of my fav gis ;)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

However, I did get a custom/tailored fit gi made several years back through Satori gi company, and it cost me $130US. Satori is a Canadian company. Its one of my fav gis ;)

...and it still costs less than half of the price of typical Japanese made custom tailored karatedo-gi. In fact, it's cheaper than basic models of Shureido, Tokaido or Hirota.

I've been tempted to try Satori. I guess that I could get the blue hue (I like it) to the do-gi by dropping some dye to wash (i.e. dying the do-gi with a very small amount of dye).

Does Satori make the custom embroidery (i.e. name to the lower lapel area, just above the manufacturer's label) also? If they do, it'll definitely be on my list to consider.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Does Satori make the custom embroidery (i.e. name to the lower lapel area, just above the manufacturer's label) also? If they do, it'll definitely be on my list to consider.

I'm not sure about the embroidery since its been awhile since I've been to their website. I'm sure they can give you an answer if you email them. They were very good with their customer service from what I remember.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure about the embroidery since its been awhile since I've been to their website. I'm sure they can give you an answer if you email them. They were very good with their customer service from what I remember.

They will be more than happy to ebroider your name. Looks great too!

I been in talk with them about ordering me 2 Gis.

"No matter how you may excel in the art of Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

I think I need to have a tailor-made gi, because I always have to get size 6 or 7 to fit my legs, and then the top looks funny hanging down so far! Gotta save money for 3rd dan testing first, though.... :D