Does MA help getting into...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh thanks for your replies everyone. I guess maybe MA might help for some colleges, but maybe it won't. Oh well. I'll just hit the books and study all day when I get to somewhere 'round 12th grade.

Taikudo-ka, lol.. That reminds me of what my Mom said.. "Even if you hate it now, the more you play the more you'll like it."

Now that's strange.. I wonder how she knows. :smile: I'll take your word for it and not hers lol.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Gracie JJ, I'd completely disagree. In a situation like this the best thing to do is a kick to the knee, followed by an open palm strike to the nasal bridge. You don't wanna grapple and go to the ground on the golf course - the guys buddies could start laying into you with clubs... that number 3 wood driver, ouch!! :dead:

Unfortunately, the "sport", more correctly "do" of golf flatly refuses to allow or even acknowledge this sort of realistic self defense training.

The entire objective of competition golf has become to get a small white ball into a 2" hole in the ground about half a mile away, using only raw power of your bare... $500 signature titanium alloy no. 1 driver... and about 9 other clubs like it.

If you don't master this way, expect to spend a lot of time lugging a heavy bag around long grass looking for a small white ball you saw go "a few hundred meters that-a-way, bounce off a tree, then disappear", about 100-200 times a so called "game".

KarateForums.com - Sempai

I have a son who is a junior in high school and I am in the midst of researching for him.

As long as you can show the prospective college of your choice that you use your time wisely and engage in benefitting extracurricular activities that will help your chances. Getting a score of 1600 on SAT's does not ensure your acceptance.

"A scholarship is college money based on special qualifications like academic merit, athletic skill, artistic ability, or dozens of other criteria. It never has to be repaid. All types of organizations and people award scholarship money. There are scholarships for everything from being a full-blooded Cajun to having terrific grades - even for karate students"

For more ... http://www.ihigh.com

Click on Colleges & Careers and scroll down to Scholarships: Myth & Reality

This is a great site!!

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Black Tae Kwon Do

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-22 11:06 ]

Like I posted above with TKD and Judo now becooming olympic events I think we will see more Martial Arts teams in colleges.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

...not to mention the risk of heart attacks (how come so many old geezers have them on the golf course - it's not like it's that strenuous!) or lightning strikes.

Maybe the MA aren't so bad after all!

:wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EnvE - yeah, good point. I've had a good start on several interviews through being a volunteer ambulance worker. The other thing is that it's a great conversation starter which gives you a bit of instant rapport with the interview panel.

The other thing that can be a help or a hindrance is something like military service, volunteer police service, Red Cross or things like that. In the USA don't you have ROTC for college, or National Guard? The other advantage of this stuff is that you can learn more self-defence skills and it's great physical activity! Check out http://www.armyrotc.com/ for details. (Unless you're a pacifist, in which case, forget all the above!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~