• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does MA help getting into...

Hiya, take it from someone who was first man on the varsity golf team since I was a junior in high school. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get a golf scholarship at a GOOD university. There are not many to go around, and you have to be fantastic.

If you want a better way to get a scholarship, get into the fine arts. There are usually a lot more available for the department to give out, and a lot easier to obtain. You still have to be VERY good, but not on the same level as golf.

Then, after band or choir practice, you head over to the gym for martial arts practice. :up: :up:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-04-25 07:32, Bitseach wrote:

EnvE - yeah, good point. I've had a good start on several interviews through being a volunteer ambulance worker. The other thing is that it's a great conversation starter which gives you a bit of instant rapport with the interview panel.

Yeah, I'm an official Red Cross volunteer at the local teen center...me and my hommies go there and play with 8-12 yearolds and it's an easy job.

Fighting over the internet is like special olympics...even if you win, you're still a *.

I wish I could do that, too bad I'm live in the pacific side of the US. But yeah I do plan on voluntering help for the animal shelter or go to one of those old people's homes and just help them out. Only thing is they said I had to be 16.. three more years to go. You'd probably think I'm too young to be thinking about college already (or at least I do), but my Mom doesn't think so lol.

Thank you so much for your help everyone. KSN Doug, I'll tell my Mom what you said. She ain't making me play golf. The stuff they wear scare me too!

Thank yaz again!

Cya

Hiya

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

A lot is going to depend on what college or university you're applying to. But the most important things are:

• Get good test scores. We don't like to believe that SAT and ACT matter, but, well, they do.
  • Find a lot of things you're interested in, and do them. Colleges are less concerned that you can beat people at MA tourneys. They want to see that you're a well-rounded person with lots of interests.
  • Do well in your classes, both to get good grades, and so teachers will write good reqs for you. Try to form relationships with your teachers.
  • Do the best you can to convince the college or university that they really want to pick you. This is done through essays, your interview, etc.

In the end, MA will probably not get you a scholarship--for that, you'll have to do fine arts, write well, and/or play a sport well, and sadly, there are very few (if any) college martial arts teams. But the mindset you apply to learning MA will help you in applying yourself in the classroom and other activities.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won