• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does MA help getting into...

Hiya,

I really want to know if martial arts helps getting into a college. like if you went to tournements and you won a lot of them would it help?. if you guys and girls wanna know why I'm asking this, it's because my mom wants me to start golf so by highschool I can get into a golf team.. cuz then it'd help me get into college or something. But I HATE golf HATE HATE HATE HATE. so if martial arts doesn't help me getting into a good college then I need to do golf..

:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Oh ya, and I know that you need to get a really good score on your SAT and stuff to actually get into a good college, but my parents told me being in like a golf team, basketball team, whatever, helps a bit too.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A black belt would certainly help you get a job, since it shows determination, the ability to learn, alongside many of the personality types associated with the martial arts. It may be the same with a college but I am not sure.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I ncluded my involvement and awards I earned in MA on my application. However, I have no idea what the bearing was if any on that school's decision. But I did get in.

Just don't take golf, do MA, like you already said, you hate golf. Why spend so much time in an extracurricular activity if you hate it?

When two tigers fight, one dies and the other is mortally wounded.

Hehe I used to play golf and the more I played the more I hated it... could you incorporate less action into a larger, more expensive playing field? I think not... :lol:

I thought football was the "college sport" :razz:

In Australia universities don't give a toss for anything except academic performance. (i.e high test marks) Private colleges will take anyone willing to pay the fees, although some background in the course subjects is helpful.

Universities will also let you take masters degrees and stuff if you already have a few years experience working in a particular industry.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

On second thoughts, if you were going for some sort of special scholarship to an otherwise expensive college, well... those sort of people usually want to see a "team player" attitude and so on... I know it's hard for us "alone against an army" martial artists to accept/enjoy this stuff sometimes, but nevertheless... :bigwink:

I'd say stuff like team sports (i.e football, sigh...) is definitely what they'd hope to see. I dunno, but perhaps martial arts could even be seen as a "loner" or "violent" activity, even if it is a misconception.

But then, they might like the idea of discipline and confidence it instills?

Who knows? :grin:

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Obviously the way you get into college is entirely different here in England. One word of advice from experirnce for JACK.

Hey JACK - when it comes time to apply for jobs DO NOT tell them you're a black belt. Trust me. They'll read that as you're an agressive person who likes to fight and has interests outside of work that could interfere with your job. Not good. I've witnessed this from both sides - I've seen the look on the panel's faces when I mention my martial arts interest - and now that I'm older & wiser and sit on those panels I have to persuade the other panel members that it's not the case. :kaioken:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Hiya,

Concentrate on academics first and worry about sports later. The chances of getting a sports scholarship is somewhat slim and keeping it for 4 or 5 years is a challenge because if you don't meet minimum GPA you don't stay on the team. Consider a smaller college and keep your grades up. You'll have a better chance of receiving an academic scholarship. There are many available, but you have to apply for them. No big deal. Don't forget there are government grants available and the dreaded student loans. Sometimes you have to do what it takes to stay in even if it means debt. Consult a financial aid office at a college for help.

And to answer your question, no, MA won't get you into college, but it'll help your golf game. :lol:

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

IMO the only way being on a golf team or playing any sport will help you get into college is if you are good enough to get a scholarship. I do not think most colleges look at your athletic ability first. However it makes applicatiosn look nice. It shows you are a well rounded person.

In college knowing karate helped me get part time work at local YMCA's, and Fitness Centers. I worked as co-instructor, self-defense teacher and weight room advisor. All of which I got a jump on the other guys becasue I was in Martial Arts and had been a Football player. Also in college I was approached by several bars and local busines for bouncing or security but I never took any of them. (Not my thing)

Now that I am a teacher I find knowing karate helps me as well. Becasue I have given several classes to other faculty to help them learn how to break up fights and other things of that nature.

Karate is a way of life so anything you do in life it will help. Yeah it looks nice on a appl;ication or resume but it alone will not get you into school or a job.

I mght add that some colleges have TKD or Judo teams you may want to look into Martial Arts to land you a place on them. Then that way it really could help you get into school.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

YODA - Is that the case? That is completely ridiculous. Surely they know that with this physical ability comes the mental attitude of remaining peaceful? My god the government can be bone-headed. :mad:

Thanks for the warning, though. :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com