• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Harsh and Scary - UK School Shut Down By Intruders

Is GKR a mcdojo?

I wouldn't think so.

I don't think you can label a school a McDojo just because their students refuse to fight strangers off the street.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No I didn't ask if it was a mcdojo because they didn't fight back.

I said that because of the fees that they "claim" were owed because of the use of a martial arts brand name.

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

No I didn't ask if it was a mcdojo because they didn't fight back.

I said that because of the fees that they "claim" were owed because of the use of a martial arts brand name.

I wouldn't think that is necessarily indicative either. If someone sets up a system and trademarks the name, then people that use the system must pay a fee to use the name as well.

It may or may not be a mcdojo, but licensing fees by themselves don't make it so.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

If they owed them fees, I think that is one thing, but their actions were done to discredit them. Too bad. I am glad that our dojo does not belong to an organization.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Another mcdojo, I'd like to see somebody try that at my school...It would be a bad day for them.

One thing I dont understand. How do you let youself be taken complete advantage of without lifting a finger! I agree with DeadCell my school would send those with their tails in between their legs.

GKR could have taken this matter peacefully to court, If the contract was really valid. Are not martial artist supposed to avoid violence? which they could've in this case.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

Even if the school owners do owe the GKR organisation money, then that is no way to treat them.

Maybe they should've fought back, but maybe they thought that it would present an poor image to their students if they did so. Bad enough that you're accused of owing someone money and having your belt forcibly removed, but even worse if you're then seen to be brawling. Looks bad in court too, which is where this whole thing is gonna end up.

As an aside, some of the reprasentatives from GKR can be very scary and intimidating. They're having a mail-drop and door-knocking campaign in my area at the moment and a couple of people called at my house a few weeks ago to tell me about their karate classes in my area. I told them that I wasn't interested because I already train in martial arts and they tried to talk me into leaving my current clubs and go training with GKR. I politely turned them down and when I tried to say goodbye and close the door one of the reprasentatives put his foot in it, jamming it open so I couldn't close it. I told them I definately wasn't interested and that if they didn't leave I would call for the police as they were now harassing me. They became abusive and threatening but eventually left.

Because of this and of other stories I've heard about the GKR association I would never want to train there.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

It is good that an organization would be interested in protecting their property. UK is a modern country last time I heard, right? However, leave the matter in the custody of the courts and or sanctioning body offices. In all cases, never ever assault a class like that to intimidate students. It might make a legitimate criminal complant look menacing and Mafia based.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

Even if the school owners do owe the GKR organisation money, then that is no way to treat them.

Maybe they should've fought back, but maybe they thought that it would present an poor image to their students if they did so. Bad enough that you're accused of owing someone money and having your belt forcibly removed, but even worse if you're then seen to be brawling. Looks bad in court too, which is where this whole thing is gonna end up.

As an aside, some of the reprasentatives from GKR can be very scary and intimidating. They're having a mail-drop and door-knocking campaign in my area at the moment and a couple of people called at my house a few weeks ago to tell me about their karate classes in my area. I told them that I wasn't interested because I already train in martial arts and they tried to talk me into leaving my current clubs and go training with GKR. I politely turned them down and when I tried to say goodbye and close the door one of the reprasentatives put his foot in it, jamming it open so I couldn't close it. I told them I definately wasn't interested and that if they didn't leave I would call for the police as they were now harassing me. They became abusive and threatening but eventually left.

Because of this and of other stories I've heard about the GKR association I would never want to train there.

My point exactly, but this time, you might have a legitimate legal claim against these people. it is one thing to protect property, but a completely different matter entirely if they were menacing and intimidating people.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"