• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan

BUCKEYE

:D

Hello All,

I was presented my white belt today after my first group lesson. After some researching I joined a very respectable dojo called Green's Martial Art Center located in Hampton, VA.

Sensei Clint Green owns the studio and teaches Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan and is a direct student of Kyoshi Doug Perry.

I researched for a few weeks and talked to a few dojos before deciding on Sensei Green. His studio was a little more than the rest but I figure that this may be the "you get what you pay for" situation.

I have a strong wrestling background (grew up in the north) but that has been years ago.

I'm planning on staying with this style for a few years before branching out into other forms. I would love to learn grappling and some "tap or snap" styles, but I need to focus on Shorin-Ryu since this is my first martial arts training.

Question for anyone..... I'm 6'1" 255lbs, very strong, lift a lot of weights but not flexible at all (as evident by my stretching exercises today in class). I have read on some forums that Shorin-Ryu is more tailored toward someone of a smaller frame. However, my Sensei is nearly 6'2" or 6'3". What are some of your takes on this?

I'm addicted!

Respectfully,

Buckeye

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

~Woody Hayes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for anyone..... I'm 6'1" 255lbs, very strong, lift a lot of weights but not flexible at all (as evident by my stretching exercises today in class). I have read on some forums that Shorin-Ryu is more tailored toward someone of a smaller frame. However, my Sensei is nearly 6'2" or 6'3". What are some of your takes on this?

Generally, those claims have little or no truth behind them. Shorin-ryu fits pretty well for everyone - the basics are appliable to both small and large people and the applications also work well.

Usually, people who claim that style is "for small people" are small themselves or then large ones who just can't concentrate on technique enough and then imagine that it's about their frame, not their concentration.

I'm 6'2", 202lbs and I've trained in Sukunaihayashi (Kyan Chotoku's lineage) for a while (~16 years now). I never have had problems from my size - I used to think so for a while, but after seeing a person that is taller than me performing perfectly, I realized that I had used my size as an excuse - and actually prevented myself from becoming better.

Flexibility will increase to the amount you need it, don't worry. I'm not very flexible myself, but enough flexible to do karate - that doesn't actually require all that much.

A word of advice, though: Don't be ashamed of your height and don't try to do "small man's technique" - be tall, do big dude's technique (that doesn't mean sloppiness, but power and slam that a big, strong and heavy person can put to his technique) and view your size as a tool, not as a limit.

Welcome to karate! :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

wellcome to the forum and shorinkan, i practice shorinkan and have heard your sensei name before, all good tough. your hight is perfect, actually it is easier for biger men to perform a technique, i hope you enjoy the style , we may meet in a camp/seminar someday.

Shorinkan Shorin-Ryu is not a bad place to get your start. I began with Shorinkan myself a few years ago, and it gave me a very good foundation. I've long since branched off into a different flavor of Shorin-Ryu, but Shorinkan is still my roots. I think I may have met Mr. Green when I visited Kyoshi Perry's dojo about 2 years ago. If he is who I think is, you're probably in good hands.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

Thank you all for your replies.

Today was a workout....I'm active duty military and we have mandatory PT three times a week, but I was not expecting such a session. :) My nice ironed GI was completely soaked.

Sensei Green paired me up with one of his green belts today as we practiced numerous joint locks and defensive strikes/manuevers. I never realized how much "icy/hot" would become my best friend...LOL.

I have set 4 days per week to train at Sensei Green's dojo. I love the structured atmosphere that he provides. There was another gentlemen that started with me today; he practiced another MA for a long time but it seemed as though we were both on level ground as far as experience. Is this because when someone swaps styles, they have to unlearn their old style to a certain degree? Thanks...

Respectfully,

Buckeye

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

~Woody Hayes

My Kobudo instructor, learns his weapons from Kyoshi Perry and I have met the man several times... Good Lineage of Karate you are in to.

Good luck in your training.

Thank you all for your replies.

Today was a workout....I'm active duty military and we have mandatory PT three times a week, but I was not expecting such a session. :) My nice ironed GI was completely soaked.

Sensei Green paired me up with one of his green belts today as we practiced numerous joint locks and defensive strikes/manuevers. I never realized how much "icy/hot" would become my best friend...LOL.

I have set 4 days per week to train at Sensei Green's dojo. I love the structured atmosphere that he provides. There was another gentlemen that started with me today; he practiced another MA for a long time but it seemed as though we were both on level ground as far as experience. Is this because when someone swaps styles, they have to unlearn their old style to a certain degree? Thanks...

Respectfully,

Buckeye

if you become good in one style of karate then you won't have problem doing any technique from another style, but in kata some old habits may kick in during kata mostly stances and turns.

I spent 2 years in a shorinkan dojo while living in Indiana and I have a great respect for the system and the sensei that I have had a chance to meet. Just this past week I visited 2 different shorinkan dojos while in Indiana and it just made me smile the whole time. You are in good hands and the history of the system is top notch.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I start my full week of training this week Tuesday through Thursday and Friday.

My forearm is still recovering from the high blocks the Green Belt was laying on me (just bruised and sore). Is there such a thing as bone conditioning or will my bones always be this sore after training? Either way, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night!

Respectfully,

Buckeye

~Woody Hayes