• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defensive strategies

CheekyMusician

Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering competing in my first competition in kumite. I'm female and would be competing against other lower ranked kyu (9th-4th) females in point sparring.

However, my defence is pretty bad. Normally when I practice sparring its continuous free sparring and then its not so bad if I miss a block and get hit because I can attack them back with something and redeem myself a bit, but this competition is point sparring, so obviously I really need to work on my defence so that I'm not just giving points away.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a training partner to work with. My dad would probably train a bit with me but he has no karate background and can't kick, although I suppose he's better than nothing.

I was just wondering what kind of things I could practice to improve my defence, and what kind of things you advise for the day of the competition if I go?

Thanks in advance :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do some reaction drills. You don't need to defend yourself so much if you can hit him first. Have someone stand out of striking distance step towards you. Try stepping forward and throwing a jab or reverse punch. Kicks work too. Try to time it so you have completed you strike before his advancing foot hits the ground. If your opponent hasn't finished his attack before his foot makes contact with the ground, you've already beaten him. Hope this helps

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Do some reaction drills

Drills, drills, drills. Talk to your sensei and with the high ranks in your dojo, and ask for the most effective combos that they have used in tournaments. Pick three or four of the combos that you think would work well for you, take them home, and practice relentlessly until they are completely set in your "Muscle memory." Practice them while visualizing a shadow opponent in front of you, and also try practicing them on a punching bag. Another method that works well is to take a long (8' or so) piece of string, hang it from something high (10' or so), tie a weight of some sort 2'-3' down from the top, and start it swinging. Pretend the string is your opponent. This will help the timing and coordination of your combos. Once that gets boring, tie another weight, much lighter than the original weight, two or so feet below the first one. That will make it really interesting and more realistic.

Good luck,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

In point sparring, I'd probably agree. From a full contact standpoint, I'd heartily disagree.

Interesting point, could you go into more detail?

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"