• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The wearing of belts in chinese martila arts !?!?!?!?

HI all !!!!

I'm practicing Wing Chun Kung Fu and we don't wear belts. I know for sure that Wing Chun master in the region of Ottawa in Canada are very conservative and don't want anybody in their classes. They don't want to spread the art by trough stupid people who would fight anybody and abuse of their power. So in my region, they just get a small group of 'smart' peoples and train a good time. Then, since they are not in a school, they don't need a belt. At the beginig, I was judging this like to be stupid, but now that it's been one year that I train with him, I don't think that belts are necessary. I think that belt are for the people who want to be proud of them and say "I'm better than you because.....", you know wath I mean , Don't you......

I' m waiting a feed back on this one!!!!!

Wing Chun Kung Fu (Yip Man) and

Kali (Pekiti Tersia) martial artist

(no belts needed)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mo-tseu

i already set up a forum in the same "chinese martial art" forum area,and its exactly the same as this one

i know i dont have the authority, but dont you think (to moderators) that this forum should be closed?

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• 2 years later...

we don't wear belts at my school.

Rank is determined by the number of training hours one has.

The grandmaster just started awarding sashes last month.

hope this helps

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

Nothing wrong with a little encouragement and motivation...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Where I train wing chun we don't wear belts or certain uniforms either, and currently we are only about 6 practitioners, where only half of us come every time.

In wing chun I don't think your level depends on how many forms and stuff you have learned, but how your wing chun works. Maybe you have only learned the "little idea form", but still your wing chun can be better than the wing chun of "some of those guys, who are learning some of the "higher-level"-forms and have almost forgotten the first form, just thinking about getting a new belt."

Its true what you say, i got belts, but i would not realy think about them, i to dont think belts are nessesary, they are used to seperate people into classes of there skill in big Kungfu schools, but if there are just a few people in a school less than 50, belts seem pretty pointless,

We have grades (levels) at my Wing Chun school, but students only wear sashes on special occasions. The colours are red, yellow, green, brown and black. Within each sash colour, apart from black, there are two levels. I'm currently red sash 2 (level 2). When I grade next I will be going for yellow sash 1 (level 3).

It's "the best of both worlds", really. We have grades so that students get a sense of achievement out of moving up through the ranks, but we don't wear sashes to denote rank, so everyone just gets "stuck in " together.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think that belt are for the people who want to be proud of them and say "I'm better than you because.....", you know wath I mean , Don't you......

I' m waiting a feed back on this one!!!!!

that statement would lead one to think that you don't understand the usefulness of ranking systems...

Its true what you say, i got belts, but i would not realy think about them, i to dont think belts are nessesary, they are used to seperate people into classes of there skill in big Kungfu schools, but if there are just a few people in a school less than 50, belts seem pretty pointless,

no, it's not. when you're a teacher, it helps you more easily determine who knows what - especially if you have people that only show up sporadically. Instead of having to remember who all has learned what techniques and principles (assuming you have a combined class, since the number is so small) then you can look at their rank and not have to think about it. Also, visitors to the school want to know who to watch. They are naturally more forgiving of a beginner than of a senior. Also, it's motivational. It's no secret that in this day and age, people tend to want some type of gratification for things they do. ranking is a way to provide this.

On a wider scale, if the ranking system is standard for the style, then if you visit another school, the instructor has some idea of what you know, how to pair you up, etc. For example, in my thai classes, we don't use rank. If I go to another school, they really don't know what I know, so if I'm their to train, they have to guess what to show me. In judo, I am a 3rd degree brown. judo ranking is fairly standard, so I can go to any school in the country and they will have some idea of what I know, and consequently what I have / have not learned.

• 2 weeks later...