• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comparing two styles of TKD forms.

Oh, you're absolutely right.

Do I detect just a *little* hint of sarcasm there?? :P :D

Get yourself a coffee, quick sharp!! :D

No, no, no sarcasm at all. You are right. I'm just the devil's advocate on this. :D :D :D

(I've heard the horse kicking myth, the white to black belt because it's filthy myth, other ones so much it's scary sometimes.)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, same here.

They really "do my head in", especially the horse-kicking myth.

I'm a regular horserider and used to compete when I was younger. I even used to enter no-saddle jumping contests with my mate (because I'm crazy like that), so I know that if someone has half an ounce of riding knowledge then it is hard to unseat them. Good riders would be the cavalry riders - poor riders would either be dead or walking. Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted here, so I'll shut up. :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yeah, same here.

They really "do my head in", especially the horse-kicking myth.

I'm a regular horserider and used to compete when I was younger. I even used to enter no-saddle jumping contests with my mate (because I'm crazy like that), so I know that if someone has half an ounce of riding knowledge then it is hard to unseat them. Good riders would be the cavalry riders - poor riders would either be dead or walking. Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted here, so I'll shut up. :D

Ever hear of an equestrienne named Heather McElligott? She is my wife's Irish Dance teacher, and used to be a national level rider (Would be probably 15 ish years ago, not sure how old you are or how long ago you competed).

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Yes, I've heard of her!! My knowledge of equestrian history is legendry - I have so much "useless" horse-related info in my brain it is unbelievable.

I used to compete as a teenager and young adult. I stopped about 6/7 years ago because I was fed up with the politics of it all, especially the team selection process. Pushy parents - sheesh! I know some of you think that "Karate/TKD mums" are bad - horserider parents are 10x as worse!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

fact or fiction, it doesn't really matter to me... the thought of having to do it has made my high side kicks a lot better. i agree as far as it goes... i wouldn't try to kick someone off the horse. i think i would be better off kicking the horse in the front knee, probably injuring myself making that just as impractical as kicking the rider.... but somehow those dang koreans beat the mongolian agressors with limited weapons and martial arts. so koreo is still my favorite, i think its because the underdog won the fight. i've always been the underdog so i'm sure you can see where i'm coming from... and side kick is my second favorite kick and there are lots of em throughout the last few paulge forms and koreo. what rank did you guys in tkd have to learn koreo.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

moving back to the initial point of this discussion... I practice Chung Do Kwan TKD and have a small amount of experience w/ ATA. IMO the Chung Do Kwan styles are much more applicable in a real life situation and as mentioned before better for teaching how to generate destructive force. As for ATA it is very good for more aerobatic applications which I find to be excellent for a cardiovascular workout. The also can be very impressive in a tournament setting. However I find they usually open you up to a simple counter unless done very well and the person executing the move is very adept at following it up. They also are more demanding of balance. So overall they both have pluses and minuses, it just depends on what you are wanting to achieve.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

what rank did you guys in tkd have to learn koreo.

In my school/organisation you have to be a red belt, black tag (1st Kup) in order to learn Koryo, although SBN will occasionally teach it to deserving 2nd or even 3rd Kups.

Sheffield Steelers!

I train primarily these days in Karate and TKD (WTF style). I like karate kata (we use mainly Shotokan kata, with others as well) because of the many techniques that are in there - ground applications, close-in work, stand up striking, joint locks, etc. I like the TKD forms, though, because they are powerful and agressive, seemingly strightforward to look at but with complex application to them as well.

I don't have much experience with the shototkan foms, but I here that the chun do kwan forms system (ITF) is derived from it.

I am familiar with the WTF forms, and I worked with a few of them. I like them, too.

i train in the world youn wha ryu tkd association and i'm not sure how traditional our forms are but i like koreo the most wich is required at red belt level. i have read that it is a 0dan black belt form in many other systems. i enjoy it because of the high side kicking which recently changed from low-high to middle-high as if kicking someone off of a horse on the battlefield. i like the form also because it represents the spirit of the people of an old korean dynasty who through fortitude and tenacity defeated mongolian agressors.

If Koreo is one of your forms, it sounds like you are using some of the WTF system of forms.

The Mongolian horses were not the war horses you think of today.

Yes I know.

I'd still like to see someone try and kick me off a horse, though, of any height. I'm not the greatest rider in the world, but I bet that it would be nigh-on impossible for anyone to unseat me with a flying kick.

With today's saddles, sure. However, most of the modern saddles and the stirrups were not around at that time.

Plus, add on the fact that you are wearing a lot of armor which was very very top heavy, and it might not be that hard. Now, just from jumping next to the horse, probably not. Coming off of a height, very possible.

Aodhan

Actually, I think the Mongols invented stirrups.