• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comparing two styles of TKD forms.

Ok. I have a 2nd degree black belt in two differnent TKD associations. The first is the ATA, who has their own system, the Songahm forms. The second (and my current system) is the TTA, which does the Chun do kwan style forms.

For those that may have the experience of both, which do you like better? If you have only experienced one, what do you like about it?

I like the ATA system because it seems to have a technique advancement system to it. It also has more kicking.

I like the Chun do kwan style, because it seems to be more oriented towards power. However, this could be more related to the stage in my training that I am at.

There it is....lots of info, lots of questions. Tell me your style, and what you like about your forms. (Karate or other style forms always welcome.)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i train in the world youn wha ryu tkd association and i'm not sure how traditional our forms are but i like koreo the most wich is required at red belt level. i have read that it is a 0dan black belt form in many other systems. i enjoy it because of the high side kicking which recently changed from low-high to middle-high as if kicking someone off of a horse on the battlefield. i like the form also because it represents the spirit of the people of an old korean dynasty who through fortitude and tenacity defeated mongolian agressors.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

• 2 weeks later...

I train primarily these days in Karate and TKD (WTF style). I like karate kata (we use mainly Shotokan kata, with others as well) because of the many techniques that are in there - ground applications, close-in work, stand up striking, joint locks, etc. I like the TKD forms, though, because they are powerful and agressive, seemingly strightforward to look at but with complex application to them as well.

as if kicking someone off of a horse on the battlefield.

Well, you're gonna need a higher kick than middle-high if you want to think about kicking someone off a horse on a battlefield. Secondly, if anyone tries to kick a rider off a horse in battle then good luck to them!! I've posted extensively about this topic on another thread, so I shan't go into detail, but generally, the idea about Korean kicking being to disable horseriders is just a good story and a good myth to try and impress students.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Not necessarily just a story and a myth. The Mongolian horses were not the war horses you think of today. They weren't large, might steeds, nor were they Arabian type horses. They were and still are much shorter and stockier, meant for riding long distances rather than for speed. The horses back reaches to about 5-5.5 feet if I'm not mistaken. It is not entirely absurd for someone to kick a person off of a 5 foot horse, but the person would have to be preoccupied with another aggressor or poorly equipped for horse to ground combat, ie an archer or someone with a short club or broken spear.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Not necessarily just a story and a myth. The Mongolian horses were not the war horses you think of today. They weren't large, might steeds, nor were they Arabian type horses. They were and still are much shorter and stockier, meant for riding long distances rather than for speed. The horses back reaches to about 5-5.5 feet if I'm not mistaken. It is not entirely absurd for someone to kick a person off of a 5 foot horse, but the person would have to be preoccupied with another aggressor or poorly equipped for horse to ground combat, ie an archer or someone with a short club or broken spear.

I've seen a tapestry in a museum that showed that, but the people doing the kicking were jumping off of low hills next to the trail.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

The Mongolian horses were not the war horses you think of today.

Yes I know.

I'd still like to see someone try and kick me off a horse, though, of any height. I'm not the greatest rider in the world, but I bet that it would be nigh-on impossible for anyone to unseat me with a flying kick.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The Mongolian horses were not the war horses you think of today.

Yes I know.

I'd still like to see someone try and kick me off a horse, though, of any height. I'm not the greatest rider in the world, but I bet that it would be nigh-on impossible for anyone to unseat me with a flying kick.

With today's saddles, sure. However, most of the modern saddles and the stirrups were not around at that time.

Plus, add on the fact that you are wearing a lot of armor which was very very top heavy, and it might not be that hard. Now, just from jumping next to the horse, probably not. Coming off of a height, very possible.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

Hmm, I still doubt it, even accounting for the differences in horse tack. A good rider is a good rider with or without saddle and even bridle. A poor rider wouldn't last long in battle anyway, and probably wouldn't have been on a horse in the first place.

It may be possible, but I certainly don't think that it was the main reason for training or using jumping kicks. Certainly, it's not the best reason or the be-all-and-end-all for using such kicks IMO.

Sheffield Steelers!

Hmm, I still doubt it, even accounting for the differences in horse tack. A good rider is a good rider with or without saddle and even bridle. A poor rider wouldn't last long in battle anyway, and probably wouldn't have been on a horse in the first place.

It may be possible, but I certainly don't think that it was the main reason for training or using jumping kicks. Certainly, it's not the best reason or the be-all-and-end-all for using such kicks IMO.

Oh, you're absolutely right. I was just arguing the theoretical possibility. :D

(I need more coffee)

Aodhan

Oh, you're absolutely right.

Do I detect just a *little* hint of sarcasm there?? :P :D

Get yourself a coffee, quick sharp!! :D

Sheffield Steelers!