• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stun gun

So last night I was having a discussion over coffee with a friend about stunguns.

Any way, he thinks that he would beat me in a stun gun vs katana duel. I told him no way, he has no MA experience, I have 2.5 yrs iaido/kenjutsu, 6mnths kendo and 13 years karate experience.

He seems convinced that there is no way I could cut him without getting zapped first which would immobilise and thus defeat me.

On the other hand I've never seen one before but I believe they are basicly a short cattle prod.

What do you think? Is a stun gun really that effective?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Part of his argument was that if he toutched my blade with his stun gun, the blade would fly out of my hand. He belives that if I tried to cut him anywhere, he would be able to get the stun-gun there first, and use it like a shield which would stun and disarm me.

Now I'm not an electrician, so I can't comment on the electricity-blade relations, but I know I can cut him without being intercepted.

what are stun guns and tazers?

doesnt one of them emit a shock? as in, shoots it? if it shoots, then your in trouble, but if its gotta touch you, hes chopped people

I believe Johnny Knoxville allowed himself to get shocked by a stungun on his MTV show one time.

Ouch.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I guess he thinks you are going to move the sword in slow motion. Unless this guy has reflexes like the Flash, I just can not see it as possible.

Don't put 100% faith in stun guns. I've seen people take hits from them and not be effected. It really depends on the person. That being said, tazers actually fire a thin wire on a barb into the target. If they penetrate the skin, the person can controll how long the shock goes. I don't know about the legality of owning them though. I remember seeing a video on tv once about a crazy guy in Seattle(I think) that was walking down the street with a katana. They hit him with mace, tear gass, bean bag rounds, tazers and a bunch of other stuff and he was still standing. They eventually had to knock him over with a blast from a fire hose, pin him with a ladder and take the sword from him.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

id have to agree especially since u have kendo and iado experience u should have really good reflexes and speed and from kendo be able to take a good shock and if a unexperience guy see someone coming at them with a sword they would panic

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

what are stun guns and tazers?

doesnt one of them emit a shock? as in, shoots it? if it shoots, then your in trouble, but if its gotta touch you, hes chopped people

If your talking about the hand hel stunner thing that you have to make skin contact (they even go through leather) you'd probably win. If it is a tazer type thing that shoots out stunning rods then it depends on how accurate his shot is since he can shoot it before you can get close I believe.

An interesting questino, for me at least, would be if it is a hand held that requires contact for him before he can set it off if it hit your blade and was set off what would happen to you? I think it would stun you through the grip but I am not sure.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU TRY IT! STUN AND TAZER TYPE GUNS CAN DISRUPT THE HEARTBEAT TO THE POINT WHERE IT CAN CAUSE BIG TIME HURT, PROBLEMS OR DEATH. BY THIS I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT HIS WEAPON IS MORE LETHAL BUT IN THE HANDS OR A NON TRAINED PERSON IT CAN BE MORE PROBLEMATIC TO EITHER ONE OR BOTH OF YOU.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

He was talking about the stunner where you have to make skin contact. I suggested we battle it out with a boken and a remote control, but he said the absence of shock on the remote control would mean that the excercise would not simulate combat, since he was relying on being able to catch my sword with his stun-gun.

In the end I put it down to non-MSists just don't get it, because they've never tried it.