• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey folks, we have a tourny coming up in a few weeks and this dude i fought in feb at a diff tourn will be there competing. he roughed me up last time pretty good with a hook kick to the mouth and several blows to the head. kicks i mean. he is much taller than me and pretty much a head hunter. i think i have a chance and i know i'm tough enough to take a beating from him agian, but i want to win. i train regularly and attend fight nights and have a great 4th dan instructor. i trust his advice. i just want some advice thats not from our system so that i may be able to bring some unexpected stratigies to the ring. i guess if i had to describe the way i fight it woul;d be this: i get in and throw an expected or regular fighting pattern to set up. i like to let my aponent land a good side kick or so to let him gain his confidence, once i have done so, i change from basics to somewhat crazy, not out of control, just constant attacks. i seem to be able to block most attacks my that come my way but this guy gets through with his long a$$ legs every time. any advice is greatly appriciated. i am a 2nd red and he is a brown belt and we will be competing together. i'm not worried about losing, i just don't want to lose agianst this guy. he is very cocky and really full of himself not to mention he is one of the only competitors from a different system. he beat most of our brown belts last time and i want to give him a harder fight. thanks

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
hey folks, we have a tourny coming up in a few weeks and this dude i fought in feb at a diff tourn will be there competing. he roughed me up last time pretty good with a hook kick to the mouth and several blows to the head. kicks i mean. he is much taller than me and pretty much a head hunter. i think i have a chance and i know i'm tough enough to take a beating from him agian, but i want to win. i train regularly and attend fight nights and have a great 4th dan instructor. i trust his advice. i just want some advice thats not from our system so that i may be able to bring some unexpected stratigies to the ring. i guess if i had to describe the way i fight it woul;d be this: i get in and throw an expected or regular fighting pattern to set up. i like to let my aponent land a good side kick or so to let him gain his confidence, once i have done so, i change from basics to somewhat crazy, not out of control, just constant attacks. i seem to be able to block most attacks my that come my way but this guy gets through with his long a$$ legs every time. any advice is greatly appriciated. i am a 2nd red and he is a brown belt and we will be competing together. i'm not worried about losing, i just don't want to lose agianst this guy. he is very cocky and really full of himself not to mention he is one of the only competitors from a different system. he beat most of our brown belts last time and i want to give him a harder fight. thanks

He will be expecting the crazy attacks, and obviously he's good enough to block as well. Try changing the crazy around.

Also, if he is a head hunter, when he raises his leg to kick, just HAMMER a block into his knee/thigh area. Even if he tags the head, once you get that block (And I do me HAMMER it) in, he will think twice about picking that leg up.

Also, jam him. Stay inside the length of his legs, and fight from the inside.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I'd also look for a chance to sweep if you see an opening, especially if you can get a hold of that kicking leg.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

we are not aloud to sweep or trap the legs. i actually was penalized fighting this guy last time for trapping his side kick and nailin him in the chest with a low hook kick. by low i mean i am 5.8. and he is about 6.4.

when i say crazy i just mean intensely and powerfully crazy, i always try to maintain good tech. i love the idea about blocking the heck out of his thigh, and i think the oppertunity will come my way. i don't mind being tagged if it sets up a chance. thanks keep the advice coming

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

Draw him to kick you by faking, moving into his range as if to attack but pull back quickly as he kicks. dont go too far , just enough to make him miss and be vulnerable.Then spring back in as he withdraws the kick, closing the range and fighting inside. If he likes to kick then he wants you at leg range. Dont give him that oportunity. Move in and out following his kicks. Or jam him as he goes to kick, and punch him.

Good luck!

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Draw him to kick you by faking, moving into his range as if to attack but pull back quickly as he kicks. dont go too far , just enough to make him miss and be vulnerable.Then spring back in as he withdraws the kick, closing the range and fighting inside. If he likes to kick then he wants you at leg range. Dont give him that oportunity. Move in and out following his kicks. Or jam him as he goes to kick, and punch him.

Good luck!

Possible, but at 5'8 vs 6'4, hard to bounce in and out of the range.

Stay inside of his shin range, closer if you can manage. Tall people like that really rely on leg attacks from what I've seen over the years, and not too many are really good at in close fighting.

Hammer that block, fight from inside, and keep circling TOWARDS any leg he raises. Example: He is fighting you with his right side forward, picks up his front (right) leg. Immediately circle to your left, forcing him to rotate backwards. As soon as you see that leg drop, circle back a bit, dash in and hammer a few punches into his chest/midsection.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 weeks later...

Being a female black belt at a very young age I have had the same problem my whole life. I have always had to fight men in competitions and for some strange reason they were ALWAYS tall. The only way I ever stood a chance was to side step and punch. Also I do not know if it is legal is your stlye, but try blocking up. By that I mean so a high block at his ankle, this will make his leg come down funny most likely making him lean foward, take advantage of this and kick Him in the head. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Heather

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

thanks yu all. tourny is tomarrow and i just found out not only this guy but also a five year boxer turned tkd guy is competing as well. i cant wait ive been training hard and i love it when the odds are stacked agianst me. my heart is actually pounding thinking about it i love it!!!

Best of luck to you.

:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu