• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Indestructible Escrima sticks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never tried those, but the advertising (ie "space age, composite material", which basically means plastic) smells like a bit of cheap-o. If you want the best set of escrimas out there,, bar none check out Kingfisher woodworks (https://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com). I have played around with my brothers set of escrimas (grade 5, 7/8" diameter) from Kingfisher, and they are incredible beyond words. They are about as light as rattan, but they are insanely hard, way harder than any oak or ash or (gasp) even plastic. When you tap them together, they make a high-pitched clack (which will make your ears ring, trust me), instead of the clunk that oak makes. The quality of the worksmanship is also incredible (the guy uses NO sandpaper, only planes). It is pricey for a set ($100-ish), but it is entirely worth it, and I plan on getting a set sometime soon.

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

I thought tensile strength was the measurement of how much an object would stretch before it broke. I've only really seen it used in wire and such. Course, I'm not a physics guy either though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 4 weeks later...

Check up on durattan. I saw a test where they took a durattan and a rattan and beat them against a metal pipe. The rattan broke after about 20 (they repeated the experiment a few times) but the durattan didn't break.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My suggestion...if they aren't wooden, don't use 'em.

I only use wooden, but here's the durattan test I was talking about http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4525669811454423207&q=durattan.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 3 weeks later...

I weigh two hundred pounds, so my sticks hit hard. I use stickman HITS plastic, which havent broken, and have so far only required a little athletic tape for grip. They swing extremely fast, and hit hard. They are also much better on my shoulder joints than heavy, thick sticks.

When someone mentioned that theyd rather swing a light stick 100,000 times over the rest of their life than destroy their joints and back with a heavy...and be force to quit the martial arts; i converted on the spot. I plan on doing Cuong Nhu untill i drop dead, and i promise that if i hit someone with a plastic escrima, or a rolled up newspaper, its still going to hurt.

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

• 2 weeks later...