• advertisement_alt

Gloves or No Gloves

lordtariel

Do you wear gloves when using a punching bag  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when using a punching bag

• Yes
    • No

I found that by using vertical punches I could workout on the heavy bag BN. Mayb the isshin ryu and wing chun guys are on to something ;)

If I'm not mistaken, in the old days of bareknuckled boxing, the majority of punches were thrown with a vertical fist to reduce injury to the knuckles. When fights went as long as 90 rounds, this was invaluable.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I mostly hit on a wavemaster as well, which requires no gloves.

But even when I hit on canvas I do not put them on...if I did it more often though I probably would.

I found that by using vertical punches I could workout on the heavy bag BN. Mayb the isshin ryu and wing chun guys are on to something ;)

No, they're not. I've seen several WC guys I used to work with tear their knucks on a canvas bag. that's just the nature of canvas. Especially in the case of boxers and thai boxers, where they literally hit a bag hundreds to thousands of times per session. When I first started muay thai, I threw 500 punches a night on the heavy bag. gloveless and on canvas, that will mess you up - it's happened to me. However, I can hit a vinly bag just fine without gloves.

Also, when you are a newb, you have a higher chance of hitting from a bad angle and jamming your wrist, or worse. AND, in the case of said art, they fight with gloves, so it's best to use them and be used to it. We don't allow our students to hit bare handed.

When I trained TMA, I never hit the bag as much, so I would sometimes go bare on canvas, but you still run the risk.

That said, IMO, yoiu should wear gloves and wraps if you are hitting with your fists. At the very least, use wraps. If you want to integrate palms also, use mma gloves- but they still have a tendency to allow your front knucks to scrape the bag when you are throwing a hook punch.

If I'm not mistaken, in the old days of bareknuckled boxing, the majority of punches were thrown with a vertical fist to reduce injury to the knuckles. When fights went as long as 90 rounds, this was invaluable.

Respectfully,

Sohan

That is true. physiologically speaking, the vertical fist is the more "correct" structure in terms of punching. Also, then you are throwing arcing punches, it gets the pinky out of the way, preventing "boxer's break" It's called this bacause many fighters have broken their pinky finger by throwing arcing punches with a horizontal fist.

Respectfully,

Sohan

That is true. physiologically speaking, the vertical fist is the more "correct" structure in terms of punching. Also, then you are throwing arcing punches, it gets the pinky out of the way, preventing "boxer's break" It's called this bacause many fighters have broken their pinky finger by throwing arcing punches with a horizontal fist.

Funny you said that. I broke both my pinkies this way as a teen.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 4 weeks later...

When I hit the bag, I dislike using gloves. They can be big and bulky, and feel like pillows straped to your hands. I do use a pair of waprs for the extra support for my wrists.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War