• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions on the street

How would someone use a submission in a real fight. When practicing, or during a tornament people tap to show that they give in, but in a real fight; for example on with multiple attacker or a mugging, would you really let go and let them up. How much damage can you do to a limb before it is no longer self defense? Is the aim to cripple to limb, or are submissions simple used to hold people in place untill help arrives?

Thats in advance

A ju-jitsu begginer

"Greet your friends with open arms, and your enemies with open hands"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on the severity of a situation. generally Speaking I woudl stick to chokes in a fight because you can end it without causting any real damage. But once again If the situation was elevated and I was fighting for my life I would have no problem breaking a limb.

With multiple opponents I'm going to break something quickly, even if its a finger, and move on to the other guys. No tapouts or controlling holds here. One on one I'd likely be more forgiving.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Thats for the replys. Thats an impressive list of martals arts you have thier, Sohan. How long you been doing martal arts?

Started boxing at age 9 so its been more than 30 years of fighting arts, fairly continuously. TKD and TSD as a teen and young adult, then MT and grappling, then my current school where we practice Shorin ryu, Shudokan, and Hung Gar throughout the week (since '99) It's a trying yet gratifying schedule. And I have a very supportive wife.

Thanks for asking.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Kool, that is impressive. Ive only been doing Shotokan for 1 and half years, and ju-jitsu for three weeks (hence the post) so I guess Im a fledgling martal artist comapred to you.

Kool, that is impressive. Ive only been doing Shotokan for 1 and half years, and ju-jitsu for three weeks (hence the post) so I guess Im a fledgling martal artist comapred to you.

Hardly. I consider myself quite the beginner. The more you learn, the more you'll see yourself that way, too. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

depends on the severity of a situation. generally Speaking I woudl stick to chokes in a fight because you can end it without causting any real damage. But once again If the situation was elevated and I was fighting for my life I would have no problem breaking a limb.

Hey TJS have you ever used a choke in a fight?

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

I'd be in league with TJS and Sohan's opinions.

In a one on one fight, I often stick to chokes- nice and easy and not as damaging.

If I've got a group of guys beating on me, Im going to try to attack whatever I can manage my hands on.