• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who Likes Forms?

I don't like them at all.

The focus on katas and similar drills was the main reason I quit karate.

After over 8 years of karate, I think there are many much more efficient ways to spend my training time.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking in generalities, I personally love learning, intrepreting, and perfecting (not that I have ever perfected a kata, but I enjoy the process) katas. I draw the line when katas are created, learned, and practiced for only the purpose of making it look cool for a tournament. I would even be fine with that if it was not left wrapped up in the package of self defense. Emphasis is on the "Created" part, because I do not have a problem with learning a kata and using it for a tournament, I just have a problem with taking the self defense techniques of the kata an leaving them in the gutter for dead, so to speak.

So, yes. I do like katas.

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

I don't like the extreme forms, with back flips, jumping split kicks, and goofy looking monkey rolls. These forms are only a display of acrobatic and athletic ability. I don't care much for musical forms, either.

And for those who don't like forms, that is fine with me. I like to see why people do or do not enjoy them.

After over 8 years of karate, I think there are many much more efficient ways to spend my training time.

I have to agree with DokterVet here.

I love forms. To me they constitute the "art" in the martial art. They're a labor of love and perfection... many forms are also very aesthetically pleasing. I've been known to break out a few in the living room lol.

I won't say much here, I have already gotten into one long thread about my belife in forms. I love them and agree with the many here that do to. However, this post striked me the most....lol.....Try being at work and bust into kata during break. You get some funny looks from others, but what can I say: I live MA training. It is who I am, not just what I do :karate:

For those that don't like kata: I have no problem with that. I know too many students, friends, and doshi that have quit just because of them.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

Form have always been my one of my favorite ways to train. I have gained knowledge of my art through forms along with better technique with my blocks, stances, and strikes, better posture and balance,and more power and control, I can go on and on here. We have had a break in classes due to the holiday, and practicing my kata alone has been a good way to keep up on my training while the dojo is shut down. Especially because while at the dojo, I do not get a great opportunity to practice black belt forms due to teaching.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Like others, when I started, I really didn't like kata. But as I've progressed, I really see the usefulness and necessity of kata. Now that I teach, I find kata even more important (if that is possible).

I do think that a good mixture of kata, kumite, and other drills are necessary to be well rounded. But if you could only do one, then kata would be my choice as you can simulate everything lese from kata.

Can you explain this? I'd like to hear what ways you think are more efficient. BTW, I don't fully agree with this, and therefore would love to hear your view, as I think it's important to understand contrary points of view.

Can you explain this? I'd like to hear what ways you think are more efficient. BTW, I don't fully agree with this, and therefore would love to hear your view, as I think it's important to understand contrary points of view.

Absolutely.

First, unlike some of the posters in this thread, I'm not interested in kata for its own sake. I'm interested in becoming a better fighter.

I don't like that there is no opponent interaction or resistance with kata.

I also found that the techniques and footwork had become stylized, and as a result weren't very combat applicable.

I was taught a lot of "block, punch" type bunkai, which in no way resembled combat. But even after being taught more believable bunkai by better instructors, I would think the techniques were cool for about a day before realizing they weren't very good techniques either.

After over 8 years, my footwork sucked compared to any kickboxer.

I had no clue how to grapple.

So I think the following are more efficient ways to train: shadow boxing, heavy bag work, pad drills, partner grappling drills (escapes, chokes, etc), sparring, and wrestling/rolling. I'd even say that weightlifting is more effective in the short term than kata for increasing fighting ability.

I understand that some people enjoy the process of finding the 'hidden techniques' in kata and manipulating them into combat situations.

But I think "why bother?" I can look at my school's curriculum chart and see every technique listed exactly as it should be applied. I can go to my shootwrestling coach and he'll show me exactly how to do a technique, do it to me, give me advice on how and when to use it, and correct my mistakes based on how to make the technique work, not how it looks in the air.

I am also encouraged (and expected) use the techniques against fully resisting opponents every class. In comparison, techniques in my karate kata were, to be honest, not sound enough techniques to work on a resisting opponent. I was even told once, after performing an X-Block that "X-blocks are okay for kata, but not for sparring or fighting." Well then what is the point?

That said, we have a few sequences of submissions and throws that we do in shootwrestling that resemble katas in that they are predetermined, but unlike katas they involve a resisting opponent and are chained together in a meaningful way. For example, the throws are chained together in a manner that allows you to take advantage of the counter to each throw in the next throw. So it's not an unrelated 'catalogue' like most kata.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate