• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who Likes Forms?

I know we all talk about sparring and fighting a lot, and with good reason. Most of the people here who signed up for martial arts classes did so to learn self-defense, and it is easy to relate self-defense or fighting with sparring. I am no different.

I would like to know how many of you out there like and appreciate the practice of forms. I personally love it. Watching beautifully done forms is a tribute to the patience and practice of technique. I am mostly talking about traditional style forms, not extreme forms with back flips and stuff like that in them.

When I go to compete, forms is my favorite part of the competition. I am not trying to say it is better than sparring, and I am not comparing the two. I like to spar as well. Forms practice holds a special little place in my competitive heart, I guess.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that forms develop not only the external martial artist but also the internal one. Perserverance, self-control, self-discipline, modesty, respect, integrity, indomitable spirit-all qualities that can be developed in yourself and your students. They are the focus of most of my training as no matter how many times I have done one I can always improve on it and learn something about myself.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i like forms for balance reasons, also, they are an exadurationnlkawehrgfhsergf of fighting patterns and self defence technique. forms are great for sparring practice.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

My kata practice is very satisfying. I enjoy the meditative feeling I get and it is wonderful for my balance and stances as well.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

If you would have asked me this 6 months into my training, I would have told you I hated forms/kata. Nowadays...I wonder how I could have ever thought. I love forms, especially since they're something I can practice entirely by myself.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I love forms. To me they constitute the "art" in the martial art. They're a labor of love and perfection... many forms are also very aesthetically pleasing. I've been known to break out a few in the living room lol.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

It is refreshing to see so many positive comments about forms and forms practice. Sparring gets so much attention, it seems like our forms go by the wayside. I know that when I get older, and slower, and have less reaction time and athletic ability than I have now, that forms will still be there waiting for me.