• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defending against the Straight Blast

*shrugs* I have. One guy gets all aggro and starts flailing away, the other guy steps back, sets himself, and explodes a good hard hit into the other guy, folds him over. The other guy is technically good enough to keep going, but stops. Fights are often stupid little ego things. Puppies tumbling around.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not defend it with offense? If you can't get out of the way, and blocking that many techniques is failing you, just start hitting back. Essentially, begin your own straight blast, and intercept him.

Remember, the best defense is a good offense.

ive read most of this, but what happens when instinctively all you do is retreat backward? not turning, but you know, you go slower running backwards, than the person running at you forward, yes, he maybe highly vulnerable, but i really have trouble finding a weak spot. i have tried such things as step the the side and roundhouse to the side, but most of the time i dont have enough force due to the awkwardness of the previous movement.

also, what happens if the person rushing in is not flurrying? instead is just coming at you ready to attack?

it is hard to anticipate movement, and it is hard to attack well while his guard is up. Maybe i just to react more quickly?

Here is the problem that I find with trying to react quickly: Reaction is always dependent on action. The person acting has the advantage of time on his side, because you must wait for action in order to react (redundant, I know). And if your reaction time is slow, then you are screwed. You can work on your reaction time, but you also must have good initiation speed; ie, you not only have to react quickly, but must be able to start your action quickly. These are two very different abilities, and must both be trained extensively to be used well together.

• 2 weeks later...

Very hard to defend against and if done by top jkd people like paul vunak or Dan inosanto. It is insane fast and the pressure is overwhelming. It is a transition phase between entering and finishing . Its not designed to just blast your opponent you first make an oppening by intercepting or destruction. I would say the blast should not be more than 3 hits then its to H.K.E

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Very hard to defend against and if done by top jkd people like paul vunak or Dan inosanto. It is insane fast and the pressure is overwhelming. It is a transition phase between entering and finishing . Its not designed to just blast your opponent you first make an oppening by intercepting or destruction. I would say the blast should not be more than 3 hits then its to H.K.E

I agree with shotokanwarrior statement, I have several of Paul Vunaks DVDs. the straight blast was explained by him as top half of body = wing chun, bottom half of body=running a marathon. Once he is on top of you, its elbows, knees, head butts, biting. I think this is a very cool way to enter an opponent in a streetfight, but thats just me :D

Like mentioned in above posts, A good front kick, if landed, will probably stop this attack. I have never been attacked with the straight blast, will train this weekend on this and see what works for me.

I recommend everyone watch at least one of Paul's DVDs regarding this. I think the one i have is Rapid Assault?

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

• 1 month later...

Applying my doctrine of break the mid line, close and envelope, and fight through, I'd recommend a lateral movement to his weak side, and power through his attack. Maybe a jump spinning side kick if in the open, or a step to the right with a knee lift to his abdomen follow through.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell

• 1 month later...

My friend was in a streetfight where his opponent did the blast thing (most do), he sidekicked hard into the solar plexus. the guy fell. Good if you can do it right, because of the range your legs have over your arms, bad if you do it wrong because you'll lose balance, probably fall, then basically become someone's punching bag.

A New Age Dawns

Side step using the ahppo rules (the compass) they'll likely be in a continuous momentum that as soo as you side step them, and counter; it'll take them twice as long to turn around and attack you.

What si the point of doing something really "show" like when there is a simple solution to it? :-?

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi