• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defending against the Straight Blast

Run away and then throw something at him.

Yep, the basic reaction from someone would be to step back and put their hands up to protection. In that time, they're sooo freakin' vulnerable. It's a psychology thing.

But I dunno, attacking back is also a good method, and if you can grab them(which might not work against fighters like this) and then push them(this'll work well) with your whole body and swing them down with momentum or whatever, it also works as well.

If you take a crooked path and have to go through a cliff. Either hope there is a bridge, or learn to fly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need to quit expecting people to stand there and give you nice targets. Go on the offensive and create some.

Instinctively retreating is a beginner mistake, I rail on it twice as hard as I do about keeping a guard up. Don't do it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

ive read most of this, but what happens when instinctively all you do is retreat backward? not turning, but you know, you go slower running backwards, than the person running at you forward, yes, he maybe highly vulnerable, but i really have trouble finding a weak spot. i have tried such things as step the the side and roundhouse to the side, but most of the time i dont have enough force due to the awkwardness of the previous movement.

also, what happens if the person rushing in is not flurrying? instead is just coming at you ready to attack?

it is hard to anticipate movement, and it is hard to attack well while his guard is up. Maybe i just to react more quickly?

if your reaction is to retreat backward, then you have a very bad reaction that needs to be corrected. This habit will get you run over. In boxing, muay thai, etc. we are taught to circle the opponent, not retreat from him. Take no more than three steps backward - after that, circle in some direction.

As far as his guard being up - why are you worried about it? hit him low if his guard is up. or clinch and throw him.

mule kick, back kick, jump away front kick are all options.

Is it point sparring, i.e. first contact scores? If not, as he comes in, raise one hand and bring your forearm down (HARD) across both his arms. Once they're tied up, his upper body is open for a punch or crescent/axe type kick.

Most of the time, people that press the attack like that aren't too used to having it come back at them. If it's early in a match, I might even give up the point to just come in and hammer back. One or two really good strikes on his arms will make him rethink that whole wade right in approach.

I do this also against people that like to stick one leg up and start hopping at you. (We don't allow sweeps/takedowns in our tournament sparring). I'll come in and hammer a block into their kneecap or thigh as hard as I can.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I had a guest sensei talking to us about this. He said you have two options. Move forward and attack or disengage so you can move forward and attack at another angle. If he's starting an attack, be there first, he may be the one to backpedal if a strike's coming at him. If he's in a flury of attacks, go diagonaly forward. It will take him longer to get you back in line for another attack and most people don't expect an opponent to go towards danger. It's also an effective means of running away if it's a dangerous situation as well since he'll have to do a 180 before he can start chasing you.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 weeks later...

Your counter attack to this type of aggressive uncontrolled attack will depend upon the style of Martial Arts that you have trained in, and the experience that you have gained.

Karate is based upon the principles that a fight should be ended by landing a single blow on your oponent.

This is often delivered with a reverse punch to the solar plexis. However, this will only be effective if your stance is correct and you are able to fully transmitt the weight of your body through correct movement of the hips.

This technique can be developed by use of pad work.This enables you to focus your punching power.

So when you find an attacker coming towards you the key is to stand your ground and finish the fight instantly with a well executed technique. There is no need to get into an unecessary brawl.

The use of such techniques will only be effective if concentrated on during training.[/img]

Daikento Shukokai Karate

Karate is based upon the principles that a fight should be ended by landing a single blow on your oponent.

I was never taught that. My japanese instructor told me that it is the ideal, not the principle. IDEALLY, you want your punch to be strong enough to end a fight in one strike, but realistically, that will not happen.

So when you find an attacker coming towards you the key is to stand your ground and finish the fight instantly with a well executed technique. There is no need to get into an unecessary brawl.

this is the response a lot of karateka would retaliate with - it's a great technique. But don't count on it to end the confrontation in one strike.

I was never taught that. My japanese instructor told me that it is the ideal, not the principle. IDEALLY, you want your punch to be strong enough to end a fight in one strike, but realistically, that will not happen.

this is the response a lot of karateka would retaliate with - it's a great technique. But don't count on it to end the confrontation in one strike.

Yikes. I love to go against one-punch finishers. Rarely happens, though the potential is there to put a hurting on me. Even if it connects, which doesn't usually happen with karate vs. boxer, I can absorb much better than a board or brick.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

A 'one hit' will stop a lot of fights though, not so much because the other person was physically beaten as by the psychological freeze. Many people who can't fight well expect to flurry each other with weak, relatively harmless hits, and if something hits hard enough to register as a significant injury, they stop because they'd never imagined a fight could hurt. (To be fair, most fights don't really hurt with people who don't know how to fight.)

Of course, if the 'one punch' doesn't stop them, then you need to do another 'one punch', then another, then another, till one of them finally does the trick. =)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia