• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a couple of questions

Hey everybody, it's been a while but I'm back!

For those of you who are a Cho Dan or above, why did you continue to train after reaching Black Belt? And for any one else, what do you think is the best way to deter physical conflict? Thanks everyone!

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I continue to train because first dan isnt the end of the road. You also have to train to maintain what you've learned. You can't just stop and then 5 years later be able to do what you were once able to.

Long Live the Fighters!

First dan is like receiving your high school diploma, IMO. You have learned the basics, and now it is time to REALLY learn your art.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I continued to train because I "fell in love" and it had been part of my life ever since I started, and I didn't know what I would do if I quite.

But what about my second question, what do you think is the best way to deter physical conflict? Thanks agian!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

1. Avoid situations that could place you in contact with a bad element. Rough bars, alleyways, little league games...

2. Keep your ego in check and watch your temper.

3. Smile more.

4. Speak softly but firmly. This can be quite intimidating!

5. And last, be confident and positive about yourself. People who pick fights usually (not always) prefer easy targets.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

One of the main reasons I continued to train was because I had no desire to ever quit. My dad instilled a pretty good work ethic in me, and I am never satisfied with my performances. I can always get better.

As far as avoiding physical conflict, that has a lot to do with self-control. Know the places you are going, the people that will be around. I avoid the bar scene. However, I am married, and love to just be with my family. (Met my wife in TKD, by the way :D ) Just using your head will help. If you aren't cornered, you can most likely walk away.

Thanks guys, you've been a big help!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

You should continue training for as long as you can. You can never leave something you truely love and live for. As for avoiding situaitons, it is best to leave self control in the head and be able to judge when to counterattack/defend yourself. Do not make martial arts success become a barrier to making it look like you are a normal person.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

I quit practicing martial arts one month after receiving my 2nd Dan. However I never lost interest so I guess one could say I never actually quit. Occasionally I work out a a local MMA gym and also with a Tang Soo Do Master I am friends with.

Now to me if an activity does not bring in money, then it is a hobby. So every so often when someone tells me what a shame it is that I don't actively practice, I always ask then why they think it is important that my art be the most important thing in my life.

What did I do when I quit? Well I got married a month later (that was planned, though) and went to graduate school. Now I spend my evenings with my two children instead of the gym.

God I love the martial arts; but to be realistic, it is no way near the most important thing in my life. I still hape to achieve 4th Dan or greater one day, but not at the expense of sacrificing work or family time.

I agree with Sohan in that at 1st Dan is when you have learned the basics, and now it is time to REALLY learn your art. But I have seen before that achieving 1st Dan is also the "Kiss of Death" for a lot of students in that they lose interest at that point. Does anyone else notice this with Cho Dans?

Now to me if an activity does not bring in money, then it is a hobby. So every so often when someone tells me what a shame it is that I don't actively practice, I always ask then why they think it is important that my art be the most important thing in my life....

God I love the martial arts; but to be realistic, it is no way near the most important thing in my life. I still hape to achieve 4th Dan or greater one day, but not at the expense of sacrificing work or family time.

I agree with Sohan in that at 1st Dan is when you have learned the basics, and now it is time to REALLY learn your art. But I have seen before that achieving 1st Dan is also the "Kiss of Death" for a lot of students in that they lose interest at that point. Does anyone else notice this with Cho Dans?

Tomcat, I think Chodan/Shodan is the kiss of death for many because they have achieved it too easily, and our society places the 1st dan at the pinnacle of achievement. Once most people have achieved this they can brag to their friends "I'm a black belt" and there really is no more training needed in their minds. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone getting a black belt in 2-3 years and really appreciating the value of receiving it or what it really means.

As far as priorities go, you're right. I too enjoy spending time with family but I made a decision a long time ago that martial arts is a major part of my life. Too me, it is not a hobby, rather it is something that gives me the strength and confidence to succeed in all aspects of life. Everyone has a different focus for strength, be it religion, MA, etc. Mine happens to be my family and martial arts, in that order. I put my family first, but my devotion to my art is what makes me the man I am today that puts his family first. I do, however, try to maintain some balance in my life and never let any one aspect dominate.

Respectfully,

Sohan