• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Long Have You Been Studying Martial Arts?

How long have you been studying martial arts?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been studying martial arts?

• Less than 1 year
    • 1-2 years
    • 3-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • More than 25 years

I started in boxing and wrestling as a kid, I do not count those years as a student. I, unfortunatly, moved around a lot due to my father's work and than going into the military. I have trained in a few different arts, and I never took more than 3-4 months off at a time. This was simply to move and find a new school that I liked. Now that I am out of the military, I decided to open my own school and still persue black belts from other systems. I am currantly working on my bb in Shorei Kempo. All in all: it has been 16 years with my own school only opened for 2 years :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started training in 1987, in the WTF style of TKD. Due to moving around for college, after college, air force, etc. I spent a lot (I mean a LOT) of time moving between dojangs and styles, dropping back a couple belts on occasion, etc.

Shotokan 2 years training, don't remember rank

WTF 3 years total training, green belt highest rank achieved.

ITF 2 years total training, green belt.

Kenpo, 3 years training, red belt.

Kempo 2 years training, blue belt.

I transferred into the ATA as a blue belt in May 2000, 1st degree rank in May 2001, 2nd degree rank September 2004 (Min time in rank is 1 year, I took about 18 months off due to injuries and other considerations), and I will be testing for my 3rd degree in September of this year.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Aodhan, where is your ATA school located?

Tempe, Arizona. It's not my school, I just teach part time.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

My journey started in 1981. Whilst I've loved every minute of it and meeting some great characters along the way, I really wish I hadn't wasted a lot of my time with 'flowery' stuff in the belief it would benefit me in a self-defence situation.

Though I don't regret anything, is there any long-termer's here that have any regrets?

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

is there any long-termer's here that have any regrets?

I do not know if you would consider me a long-timer, but I have no regrets. Even though it has taken a long time to achieve my goal of opening my own school, it was all worth it. As I said: my father moved around a lot with his job and I also moved around a lot due to the military. However, Once I settled down three years ago. My sensei ranked me really fast to the level he thought I was at and even helped me open my own school two years ago. Now that I am teaching, I can really count on all my past experiences to help teach my students, even those that have past training in other arts :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

been doing tae kwon do for about 13 years now. my instructor has made it real interesting, having BJJ, Gumdo, and even gymnastics instructors come in for special classes

been doing tae kwon do for about 13 years now. my instructor has made it real interesting, having BJJ, Gumdo, and even gymnastics instructors come in for special classes

Would gumdo be similar to kendo? I had not heard of it so I did a search and it seems it shares many of the same characteristics as the Japansese way of the sword, but as a Korean arts.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu