• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belts

Darkangel

well itstoo late now, ive spent 3 years in that place training for my black belt, if i dont pay it, i dont test for my belt. so what am i suppoed to do? find a cheper place and start from white belt again?

Go around, ask from the other schools about their fees and if they'd recognize your grade. If you've trained in a school that teaches taekwondo from the two largest international organizations - WTF and ITF - you should be able to keep your current grade and test somewhere else.

However, if your school belongs to a small organization, you might have less luck.

I'd still go around, though. That price is way too steep.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, you have been there 3 years, to leave now would be crazy; however, $900.00 is alot!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

its not associated with either organization, yes the price is steep, but i rather just pay it then spend another 3 years doing the same thing with nothing to show for all my hard work.

Something else you may want to ask is if you have to pay a yearly fee to keep the belt certicate current. Many (bad) schools say you have to pay a yearly membership fee and if you don't, they will not recognize your black belt anymore.

I guess they think it is like milk and it will go bad....

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

its not associated with either organization, yes the price is steep, but i rather just pay it then spend another 3 years doing the same thing with nothing to show for all my hard work.

Personally, I think if you're in a school that ripps off students that much then you won't have a lot to show for your work anyway. Much better to go to a school that will charge you fair price. Who knows, if you ask around, other schools in your area may recognise your rank. Asking costs nothing - paying $900 for just a belt test will leave you ripped off and seriously out of pocket. I think you'd be better off having nothing to do with a school that charges such outrageous prices.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You can tell somebodys grade by how they perform, as i say, a belt means nothing, it is the knowledge that matters. :karate:

"Words mean nothing, they are empty expressions floating around, Do not be offended, words mean nothing."

Yes, the belt doesn't mean nothing just the knowledge and the skills. Some instructors have to raise their fees because they depend on the school to survive, you know pay bills, etc... In my opinion if you teach martial arts you have to do it without been greedy. $900.00 is the payment of a nice house or a sport car. Is up to you to decided.

heres a lesson. When one is young, one's view and understanding of the world are limited. A child doesn't understand why he needs to work hard. He may give up easily if faced with hardship. Hence, a teacher's encouragement is always invaluable.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Im from England and I don't have to pay on the day to grade. There a monthly fee agreed depending on how often you train and it taken monthly by direct debit from my bank. This fee covers everything including grading fees and even a new belt if graded successfully.

:D

Not a bad way to do it. Quite rare though I think.

We too have monthly fees, but there is an additional charge for those grading.

(or if you want to look at it from a positive point of view, our students don't get charged extra if they're not grading)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.