• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Four Facets of Fighting

Great article.

I think more arts should concentrate on today's weapons. I don't expect to be attacked by anyone carrying a rice thresher, or to use one to defend myself. Being attacked by someone with a gun or knife or skateboard is much more likely. I'll bet no one trains on disarming an opponent of a skateboard.

This is a good point. I'm going to have someone go at me with a skateboard and some other improvised weapons and see if I can figure out what to do.

But that being said, self-defense isn't the only reason people learn martial arts. Some people are interested in the historical aspect. Some just like the exercise. They shouldn't think that they know how to defend against modern weapons, but some of it crosses over. A knife's a knife and a stick's a stick.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Great article.

I think more arts should concentrate on today's weapons. I don't expect to be attacked by anyone carrying a rice thresher, or to use one to defend myself. Being attacked by someone with a gun or knife or skateboard is much more likely. I'll bet no one trains on disarming an opponent of a skateboard.

This is a good point. I'm going to have someone go at me with a skateboard and some other improvised weapons and see if I can figure out what to do.

But that being said, self-defense isn't the only reason people learn martial arts. Some people are interested in the historical aspect. Some just like the exercise. They shouldn't think that they know how to defend against modern weapons, but some of it crosses over. A knife's a knife and a stick's a stick.

A very nice post, Lordtarial.

Baron also has some good points.

I do think that training in today's weapons is a very good idea. With the new conceal and carry laws that are going around, along with learning how to spot a potential threat and the like, training in today's aspects wouldn't be a bad idea.

I went and looked at another BJJ school nearby last week when I was choosing one to attend. It is actually conducted in a TKD dojang in Manassas. When I walked in, they had all kinds of modern weapons made out of wood hanging on the wall: pistols, knives, etc. (no skateboards :D ) They also had the traditional stuff.

Made me realize that most of us don't train to the current threat. That is a mistake.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

...they had all kinds of modern weapons made out of wood hanging on the wall: pistols, knives, etc. (no skateboards :D ) They also had the traditional stuff.

Made me realize that most of us don't train to the current threat. That is a mistake.

This is a good point. One of the problems that I have with "kobudo" training is that the most of it seems to be done with traditional weapons in a non-traditional manner. Many students of kobudo that claim to have knowledge of how to use kamas, or sais, or bos, have never trained weapon on weapon. With the advent of XMA, many are just twirling them about in maneuvers that don't resemble attacks or defenses.

Although I agree that it is important to learn how to deal with the threats of today, I do believe that traditional kobudo training can be beneficial, if taught in an actual combat sense.