• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A friend of mine mentioned she was going to try a San Shou class and I have no idea what that is.

Does it focus on kicking or punching or both? Is it a traditional or sport martial art?

Also is it very effective in a self defence situation?

I know I ask too many questions hehe :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

San Shou was developed in the 1960's by the Chinese Army. Basically it is a Chinese MMA consisting of Kung Fu, Chinese Wrestling, Boxing/Kick boxing, and Chin Na. Largely it has been developed as a sport, But Im sure its somewhat valid for defense, if it is taught in that light.

It is actually "Sans shoes." "Sans" being Middle English for "without" and "shoes" is well, self-explanatory. Thus, the style means "without shoes." It is a very ancient art, practiced barefoot. :lol:

My apologies for anyone who doesn't appreciate my bad humor. :karate:

*Goes and looks for his groin cup* haha

• 3 weeks later...
San Shou was developed in the 1960's by the Chinese Army. Basically it is a Chinese MMA consisting of Kung Fu, Chinese Wrestling, Boxing/Kick boxing, and Chin Na. Largely it has been developed as a sport, But Im sure its somewhat valid for defense, if it is taught in that light.

somewhat? why wouldn't it be?

I think san shou is set up like kick boxing, but also scores points for throws, but does not allow ground fighting. I think low kicks are allowed, but I am not sure. I think some guy named Kung?? is the dominant figure of the sport right now.

• 2 weeks later...

san shou is full contact sparring,has anyone heard of darryl cross?

its like a finger pointing away to the moon.....dont concentrate on the finger or youu will miss all that heavenly glory