• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking on 2 martial arts?

I agree with the above. I think you should figure out which one suits you better, then do that one for long enough for it to be not easy.. but solid in your muscle memory, then and only then think about taking another style.

I would suggest doing the second one LATER. :wink:

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not try out doing both for a while, and if they start getting confused, you will havetrained in each long enough to know which you like better.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I like danbong's reply the best. Try them both and stick with the one you really like. If you really are into the fitness issue, both will be great. Self defense wise, I like Kung fu more as a choice. You will learn great tradition in kung fu. You will learn to use beautiful weapons. In capoiera, you incorporate self defense in a dance. You learn to play intruments in this and are expected to learn to play in order to advance in rank. Both styles do not focus on rank as much and it could take a long time to rank. Good luck in your decision, but for now, you should choose only 1.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Hi everyone, :)

I decided a while ago I wanted to take on a martial art for fitness, fun and obviously to defend myself aswell.

I decided on wing chun kung fu, but then I found a local capoeira class and that looks like a lot of fun (don't know how good it is for actual self defence though!)

I couldn't decide which I wanted more, so now I'm thinking I'll do both.

Is this wise for a complete beginner? Do you think it may be too confusing?

Also, how similar are the two?

what's the name of the capoeira group?

If you have adequate time to train for both, then I say go for it. Many find it easier to become proficient at one style before they take on another, but I don't find this a hard and fast rule. Depends on the individual. Just make sure you give both arts your best in time and effort.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Well, Heres my opinion.

Im actually learning okiwan style karate and getting some boxing lessons and grapples from friends and family, But im mainly focusing on karate. I wanna try to improve my fitness and balance and hand speed and all that so i learn boxing and use some of that and some grapples i learn when i actually fight,

I thinhk basing yourself on one style and then learnign some tricks on the side from differnt styles is a great idea to make yourself less pertictable.

And as for the capoeira class i'd say go for it, I mean, To me capoeira doesnt look like something i'd really use much in actually fighting but it looks really fun and i think learning that just to have some fun and maybe some compititions is a good idea too,

once i base myself allitle more and get the hang of karate im gonna start learning some of that too...

so my opionion is combination is good

Yeah yeah, Shut up already

Begginer-2nd degree white

Capoiera does look like fun. What upper body strength you must get with this style. Competition though? Are there any tournaments for this. I have been to many and thinking back, I have never seen anyone doing Capoiera.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Capoiera does look like fun. What upper body strength you must get with this style. Competition though? Are there any tournaments for this. I have been to many and thinking back, I have never seen anyone doing Capoiera.

capoeiristas have competed in vale tudo events in brazil. There is even a training song about a capoeirista who beat a bjj guy in one. They also have their own events called baptizados.

i guess if you live in the u.s like i do it would just be something that few people would be doing and there wouldnt be any compititons, But hey, Its fun and u'll look pretty cool at a highschool dance :lol:

Yeah yeah, Shut up already

Begginer-2nd degree white