• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shudokan Practitioners?

Sohan

Sohan,

I realize I'm a bit later to respond, but this is what attracted me to this forum. Whenever i tell people I study Shudokan, I get either a blank "what is that" look or they think I mispronounced Shotokan.

Count me in as another karate-ka od Shudokan.

I study at the Sachems school of self defense, which is part of the C and S self defense association (there is a website if ya' got nothing else to do :) it's csselfdefense.org

Interesting site--you seem to be part of an organization with a lot of integrity. Also, Grandmaster Rose seems like an extraordinary person. I found it fascinating to peruse his personal sites as well as his karate-related sites.

Would be curious what your lineage is to Kanken Toyama, Shudokan's founder. I couldn't find it in the site, but I didn't have time to look through everything.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...as for the Kyoku kata...someday I'll be able to find them. It's just a matter of time.

Patusai, unfortunately in our system we aren't permitted to share the Kyoku kata outside our school. Kind of silly, I know, but that's our tradition. Up to recently they weren't even performed in public!

We have a secret handshake as well, but if I showed you, then I'd have to kill you. :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Sohan,

Wow, thanks for your interest and the kind words. The liniage of our association is listed under "roots and philosophies", but in a nutshell.......

Grandmaster Rose trained with Grandmaster S.A. Brock. Brock trained with Grandmaster Toshio Hanaue, who trained with Grandmaster Toyama.

FWIW, if your really bored :D I train at the Sachems School. It has a link from the association page under registered programs.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Rick.

Rick

Rick,

Oops, there it is. Must have passed over it.

Saw your school site. Nice program--isn't Laconia near the lake? Closest I have been to there in NH was Nashua back in 1992.

With respect,

Sohan

Patsuai, I would be interested in discussing Soryu or Shudokan karate with you, either on this board or through email. I workout with a Soryu group in Texas and I have connections also to the Yoon Byung-in lineage.

That would be fine. From what I read and hear it does not appear that any of the Soryu schools teach the Ura katas anymore (ura Jion, ura Patusai, ura kushanku, ura useishi) and it appears that they no longer teach Bei Rei. I always wanted to talk about that with someone but ...I'll send you my email

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Patsuai, I would be interested in discussing Soryu or Shudokan karate with you, either on this board or through email. I workout with a Soryu group in Texas and I have connections also to the Yoon Byung-in lineage.

That would be fine. From what I read and hear it does not appear that any of the Soryu schools teach the Ura katas anymore (ura Jion, ura Patusai, ura kushanku, ura useishi) and it appears that they no longer teach Bei Rei. I always wanted to talk about that with someone but ...I'll send you my email

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

...as for the Kyoku kata...someday I'll be able to find them. It's just a matter of time.

Patusai, unfortunately in our system we aren't permitted to share the Kyoku kata outside our school. Kind of silly, I know, but that's our tradition. Up to recently they weren't even performed in public!

We have a secret handshake as well, but if I showed you, then I'd have to kill you. :)

With respect,

Sohan

I know that this seem cold and somewhat calculating but except for the Kyoku kata taught to high black belts I'm thinking that the lower rank may be more open to sharing. Of course, I suppose, what they share and say is Kyoku may not be.

I don't know about the secret handshake. I know about the bow though.

Honestly though, my MA related goals in life are:

[1] have someone correct/re-teach/teach ura Jion, Ura Patusa, Ura Kushanku and Ura Useishi to me.

[2] learn the Kyoku kata

Far fetched indeed but then I can dream

Sohan,

Yes that's correct about the lakes. The whole region is dotted with them and refered to as the "lakes region" of New Hampshire.

Most people if they have any exposure to the area either grew up around here, know of lake Winnipesaukee, or come to bike week....aka the Laconia Rally. (oldest one in the country)

Thanks again for the kind words,

Rick.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
Sohan,

Grandmaster Rose trained with Grandmaster S.A. Brock. Brock trained with Grandmaster Toshio Hanaue, who trained with Grandmaster Toyama.

Rick.

Wow I train under Grandmaster Brock here in St. Louis

would love to chat some time

Jason

Sohan,

Rick.

Wow I train under Grandmaster Brock here in St. Louis

would love to chat some time

Jason

Cool. Small world.

:)

With respect,

Sohan