• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shudokan Practitioners?

Sohan

Excellent,

My understanding is that in Shudokan there are Kokyu katas (seven I believe) and even the lowest level of these kata are taught at high brown or low black levels. Does anyone have information on this? Do these kata have names? It is my understanding that they are guarded so I am not asking for movements or anything along those lines. I'm just curious as to the names. Thanks

\

:karate:

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I've lurked on this board for a while, but a thread about Shudokan? I can't pass that up!

I teach Shudokan Karate-do on the Oregon coast, although I just started not seven months ago, so don't take me to seriously :)

Shihan Morris Mack, 9th Dan, runs the Yakima School of Karate (http://www.yakimakarate.com), located in Yakima, Washington. He is the head of the American Shudokan Association (ASA), which has member dojos located for the most part in the northwest, with one in Idaho.

He's a really charismatic guy who’s experienced karate’s evolution from the Blood-and-Guts days to its current state. He has allot of history in that head of his that I'd like the chance to pick some day. He also made me nervous because he unexpectedly showed up at my shodan grading and ran the test! Nothing like having the highest ranking master of your style in the country scrutinizing your every movement from six feet away at what you consider to be the most important test you’ve ever taken!

As far as picking bits of other styles and arts and integrating them into Shudokan, this seems to be pretty accurate and fits with Toyama’s original idea for what would become what we know as Shudokan today. Toyama, to my understanding, believed that all styles of karate, no matter how different, were still karate. He sought to pull together principals taught to him by Itosu with principals from styles like Goju and even added to the style from principals learned during his time teaching elementary school in Taiwan. From an original Shudokan perspective, it’s all karate. It’s all “empty hand”.

Patusai, you’re correct. There are seven kyoku kata, which are unique kata to the system. The first five are taught to brown belts, and the remaining two are taught to black belts, although originally they all were black belt only kata and from what I hear, looked a whole lot different then what they look like today. Good luck trying to get a good look at them if you're outside the style though. They're dojo only kata, and can't be preformed at tournments or even in public traditionally (although this rule is pretty lax today).

Here is a link to our organization for Shudokan, the Shudokan Martial Arts Assoc:

http://www.michionline.org/smaa/

I have heard of Shihan Mack but don't believe we are connected with him in any way. I don't know enough to say what relationship our organization might have with his.

BTW, just wanted to add that in our school we learn the Kyoku kata at ikkyu level. There is indeed a degree of secrecy involving them. They are not included on video available to our students as the other katas are.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 3 weeks later...

I have been training in Shudokan karate in Eugene, OR for more than two thirds of my life. It was the only karate I knew. Recently I've been inspired to begin looking farther afield in my training (due to meeting students of other styles both at university and at tournaments like the Ozawa Cup in Las Vegas), researching the origins of this style that I love.

I find it absolutely fascinating to look at the differences between the styles. But what's more intriguing is the incredible similarites. Seeing someone from the other side of the world perform Gojushiho exactly the way it was taught to you is somewhat incredible.

Perhaps what I most enjoy about our particular style and organization (as RSK_shudokan mentioned) is our tendency to *ahem* steal from everyone else. I'm currently learning Goju-ryu katas as taught by Teruo Chinen-Sensei, before that I was learning a collection of uniquely Shudokan katas (Soshin, Choshin, Kaka/Kakoshin) and of course (getting somewhat on topic) Kyoku Shichidan (about which I can divulge nothing except that it's ridiculously long and exhausting to perform).

I hope it was too onerous to read my random ramblings.

-David

Our karate lineage can be traced back to Toyama Kanken through our Grandmaster Yoon Byung-in. He was Korean, but grew up in Manchuria in the 1920's & 30's studying chaun-fa from a Mongolian instructor. He was later sent to study colonial rule at Nihon University by his family, which is where he met and trained with Toyama Kanken. In Toyama's book/instructor directory published in 1946 or 47, Yoon Byung-in is listed as a 4th dan and the Chosun YMCA representative (after he moved to S. Korea following WWII). Yoon Byung-in then was taken to North Korea in August 1951 by his brother (Captain in the N. Korean army) and never was able to return.

Anyway, three of Yoon Byung-in's students (Lee Nam-sok, Park Chul-hee, and Hong Jong-pyo) taught my instructor (now Grandmaster Kim Soo) beginning in 1950. We still preserve both karate and chuan-fa in one comprehensive system called, "Chayon-Ryu" (Natural Way). http://www.chayonryu.com

I'm sure the forms and interpretations have been changed over the years, as arts naturally evolve (for good or bad). But, we have the same root as many of you - which confuses many TKD teachers as why a Korean is teaching something other than taekwondo.

R. McLain

Interesting site--lots of great info. I wasn't aware of your style but I'm glad to read about it. Best wishes in your training.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

It was my understanding that Yoon Byung-In returned to Korea as a shihan of the Shudokan. Small world indeed.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 1 month later...

Sohan,

I realize I'm a bit later to respond, but this is what attracted me to this forum. Whenever i tell people I study Shudokan, I get either a blank "what is that" look or they think I mispronounced Shotokan.

Count me in as another karate-ka od Shudokan.

I study at the Sachems school of self defense, which is part of the C and S self defense association (there is a website if ya' got nothing else to do :) it's csselfdefense.org

Rick

[quote name="

Perhaps what I most enjoy about our particular style and organization (as RSK_shudokan mentioned) is our tendency to *ahem* steal from everyone else. I'm currently learning Goju-ryu katas as taught by Teruo Chinen-Sensei' date=' before that I was learning a collection of uniquely Shudokan katas (Soshin, Choshin, Kaka/Kakoshin) and of course (getting somewhat on topic) Kyoku Shichidan (about which I can divulge nothing except that it's ridiculously long and exhausting to perform).

I hope it was too onerous to read my random ramblings.

-David[/quote]

Soshin was a kata in Koyasu's SoRyu system at a black belt level. As for the Kyoku kata...someday I'll be able to find them. It's just a matter of time.