• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shudokan Practitioners?

Sohan

My dojo practices both the Shobayashi Shorin-ryu and Shudokan styles of Okinawan karate-do. Shudokan was passed down to us from the founder Kanken Toyama* through Sensei Takahashi to Sensei Walter Todd to my current sensei. It involves more circular movements with whipping actions and includes kata such as Empe Iwa, Empe Take, Pempi, Pempo, and Shimpaton. I have found the style a wonderful complement to Shorin-ryu.

I was curious if there are other Shudokan students out there?

Respectfully,

Sohan

(*Pat McCarthy credits Shudokan to Toshi Hanaue, one of Toyama's students, but our school recognizes Grandmaster Toyama.)

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do So Ryu Kan which in some respects is similar. The kata of Soryu are a bit different then what you have indicated Michio Koyasu was a student of Toyama. :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

From a brief internet search I could not find much useful information on Soryu, just information on Koyasu's background. I would be interested in reading more about your art and comparing it to the Shudokan passed down to me. Do you have a website you would recommend?

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

There is not much on the internet. There are some instructors still teaching the style in the Texas area and one in Indiana. There is one out west (Nebraska I believe), James Caldwell who was taught by Koyasu. I do not know the guy personally but...

http://www.wkf.org/soryu.html

This may have been what you have found on the internet. If not, it is probably one of the better informational sites IMHO

Again, there is not much written about this style. No Books or videos. By the way if anyone does have infortmation about book or video of this style please let me know as it would be of great interest to me.

It took me almost 25 years to find anyone who was familiar with the style. Only after the internet became populated with information did I find additional information to what I was taught. I have not seen much on Kata or rank requirements. Some of the teachers in Texas have different kata than what I learned.

Kata generally associated with the Soryu that I learned were (Kokyu ho, Pian 1,2,3,4,5, Bei Rei (a kata developed by Koyasu himself), Patusai, Ura Patusai, Chinto, Kushanku, Jion, Ura Jion, Wanshu, Seishan, Sochin, Useishi. I also understand that Naihanchin 1,2,3 were also taught but I was not learn them. I was also know of an alternative bunkai kata of Kushanku and Useishi that were taught back in the day but I was not fortunate enough to learn either of them.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I have indeed visited that website before. Thank you!

I assume Patusai be the same as the Passai forms in Shorin-ryu. Our school also do Kusanku, Chinto, Wansu, Seisan and the Pinan katas, which seem to be what your style refers to as Pian. Fascinating. Seems there is a slight difference in spelling/pronunciation (s for sh). Would be interested to know how that was derived.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Patusai (to breeach a fortress) is the same as Passai and Bassai (Shotokan version) I believe that the difference is dialect based and also Japanese vs Okinawan....I use to know but I can't remember anymore....old age?

Toyama and others, INcludind Funikoshi basically received their training from Itosu and some of his senior students thus it's pretty much the same. There are differences in the way the kata are promounced and in many cases performed. This is one reason Toyama felt that there were no styles just karate. We are all cut from the same cloth although, through the years, modifications have been made to the cloth in an attempt to make it stronger. Perhaps the modifications succeeded. Perhaps not.

I practice what I was taught as closely to exactly how I was taught. My first teacher's kata techniques may have even been slightly different than what he was taught. You forget things over time and, unfortunately, as you get older you run the risk, for one reason or another, of not having that person correct your kata.

My understanding is that Matsumura created what we today know as the Patsai form, and passed it down to Itosu, though it was originally a Chinese creation. I am sure it has encountered countless revisions. Patsai Dai and Sho are certainly two of my favorite katas to practice because of the defensive techniques against multiple directional attacks.

We are fortunate that in our school we have a living direct lineage which goes back four or five generations of masters. Unfortunately Walter Todd, who studied Shudokan under Grandmaster Toyama and Master Tokahashi, died tragically a few years ago, but many of those in my dojo were able to train with him before he passed. My sensei himself spent a summer training with Takahashi and found it an amazingly enriching experience.

Respectfully,

Sohan

You are indeed fortunate to have someone to correct your kata in such a way. Michio Koyasu (So Ryu Soke) is, the last I heard, still alive and doing well but many do not have access to him. There are those in the US who trained with Koyasu but based on conversations with some of them the style has changed under them based on what I was taught. They do not perform many of the kata that I was taught and as for the Ura katas many have no idea what I am talking about. James Caldwell in Nebraska is the one exception that I have found. I am sure that there are other exceptions. I just have not found them...yet. Some day, before I die, my pie in the sky dream is to find enough finances and possibily have the opportunity to train with him for a few years. Unfortunately they are nothing more than foolish dreams of an old man...but dreams drempt of none the less.

Again, your are very fortunate. I wish you the best of luck in your continued pursit :)

Thank you Patsai. I wish you the same.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Greetings Sohan.

I practice Shudokan only (although I would not be opposed to a bit of dabbling in other styles, or even Judo). My instructor is two generations below (but in close contact with) a Sensei by the title of Shihan Morris L. Mack, whom recieved his Shibucho certificate from Sensei Todd shortly after Todd's death. He was one of Todd's direct students. He has basically spent his entire life (60+ years) on martial arts, traveling and training with many different Karate masters, as well as masters of other arts. From what I know, he is one of, if not the highest ranking blackbelt in Shudokan (I do not remember his exact rank, but I believe it is either seventh or eighth dan). I do not believe that there is any official documentation that states that he is the head over Shudokan, but I think that is kind of the unofficial situation. He basically implements a policy of evolution with his teaching. Whenever he trains with a master of another style of karate, or even a completely different art, it is not uncommon for him to take small bits from those teachings, bits which Shudokan could benefit from, and incorporate them into the style.

Regards,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"