• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Tall Guys

Here's my deal. I am 5' 7" tall, and weigh 245. I am flexible, and am fairly quick for my size. I don't consider myself a great sparrer, but I can block well and can get inside. I don't counter very well because my timing kind of sucks. So, when I spar tall guys, or those my own size, I tend to cram and try to punch and push them around until they back up, and then kick high.

However, against nimble quick sparrers, I can't always get close. What I would like some suggestions on is how to spar "tall" against tall people. I want to be able to spar these guys on their own terms, and be able to keep distance and still be successful. If I can learn to do both, then my sparring should improve dramatically.

Any help, critizism, and suggestions offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It seems you need to work on fast combinations and side stepping your opponite. The last tournament I was in I had to fight a GIANT for the first place medal. I'm 5-7 and weigh in at 143, my adversary was 6-2 and 280, needless to say I had my hands full. But he did as you do, he tried to push in close and try to back me up. He had alot of reach on me but the minute he would throw a punch or kick I would get in close and score some points and side step him and smack him some more . Needless to you sound like you need to work on your close in techniques and get used to side stepping and getting out of the way of those long arms and legs that the tall people have...

"The patient fighter does'nt just charge his opponent, attacking at random and exposing himself to a counter. Rather, he waits until his opponite makes a mistake and engages when victory can be ensured" Jhoon Rhee

lose a bit of weight and concentrate on your footwork and timing.

you need to be able to move fast against someone taller than you. also, the only way to fight them is to get close, if you are nto close enough, he can still hit you, and just blocking wont get you anywhere

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I am working on the weight problem.. been trying to do some cardio work. I have started lifting weights as well. The lightest I have ever been is about 180.

My reaction time and countering do need a LOT of help. Any drills or ideas would be helpful.

I can pound on my opponents; thats no problem. But I want to have a little more finesse.

drills- after a lot of cardio when your legs hurt and you cant move very well start doing drills of sidestepping, use a friend to come at you slowly so you can learn when you should side-step.when you get better at this, start slowly making the drill go by faster. ( by doing the drill after you are tired, you wont have trouble making your body move around when tired)

Another drill you can do is choose not to attack your sparring partner.and have him attack you slowly so you can see where you would be most comfortable to move away and not get hit.(instead of always jumping back, experiment sidesteps, moving forward to stop him from kicking you, etc)

I agree with Kajukenbopr. Perform drills where the taller opponent comes at you and only move and defend yourself.

Also, work on your counterattacks. Feint to draw him in and counter with hard strikes or kicks. Worked well for Bruce Lee :) Change your stance and crouch depth to make him adjust to you, not vice-versa.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Great ideas, everyone. Thank you.

I went to the gym and sparred with two of my tallest classmates on 4-14-06. One is 6'3", and the other is 6'5". The former is a 1st degree, and the latter is a blue belt whe has just returned from a LOA. I felt that I did a little better, I made some contact on them, and and even got each in the head once.

I worked on sidestepping, too, but is coming hard to me. When I do my footwork drills on my own, I sidestep forward at a 45 degree angle. However, while sparring, I still find my sidestepping going more backwards than forwards. I guess I just need to get used to it.

I did land a few spin side kick counters as well. Its coming, I guess.

Here's another question: Do you all think I should try to sidestep even without them attacking? Like, instead of trying to slide forward, should sidestep and use some footwork to get in close to them?

Thanks for the replys....keep 'em coming!!

ok, here's an error I find on footwork terms:

when I say sidestep I mean just move out of the way-hopefully you will just need to move to the side, not forward or backwards. this can be a little tricky because if you dont have good timing, the opponent either hits you or changes to face you without giving you an oportunity to fight back.

if you are moving in a fight, be it defending or attacking remember: move to the sides or in 45 degree angles, not forward or backwards.

This ensures you are not "just attacking" or "just backing out" but countering- gaining ground to counter whatever comes at you.

by the way, they are taller than you, if you chase them, you will get hit.

make them come to you and just when you get into their range,get inside(45degree angles) ready to strike, counter or whatever you feel like doing.

But never chase anyone taller than you, make them come to you.