• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ or or another grappling style?

I will most likely be starting to take lessons at a place that teaches BJJ and Muay Thai. But Ive heard that BJJ is mainly focused on being on your back, and not so much on takedowns and such. Is this true, and is there any other grappling styles you would recommend instead? I was thinking that if there arent take downs and/or finishes, maybe it wont be as realistic. though i have heard good things about it. Im starting because I want an effective and fun martial art. thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being able to fight from your back gives you confidence to fight from any other position. The goal Of BJJ is to get the takedown and end up in top position if possible. The gaurd is considered "the best of the worst positions"

BJJ will start out focusing on ground work, positioning, and defense. Submissions will quickly be introduced, so don't worry, you will learn plenty of finishes in BJJ. Takedowns, however, aren't emphasized as much and you probably won't learn any until you've advanced to the middle or higher ranks. The focus on groundfighting is to make sure you have the proper defense, but as TJS said, the goal is to be on top.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...

BJJ is not all about being on your back. We submit people with arm locks, leg locks, ankle locks, heel hooks, chokes, arm bars, and knee bars. Also, if your on your back doesn't someone have to be on top. Think about all the aspects of Jiu-Jitsu.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• 3 weeks later...

other grappling styles include, JJJ (japanese style jujutsu) which does more takedowns, there is judo which does alot of takedowns, there is greco wrestling which is good with takedowns

and all these styles have good submission techniques in them

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

I've just started BJJ about a week ago, and have been taught a few takedowns already. Double legs and clinch ones so far. I don't know how effective they'd be in the street without getting a knee or two to the face. Then again, I've just started. I know Aikido does a lot of locks, which good be quasi throws I guess if you torqued hard enough.

Your opponent will only be able to knee you if he knows proper takedown defense (i.e. sprawls). When you shoot for a double, you penetrate your opponents base and break his balance, which he needs in order to throw any kind of effective blow. If he tries to throw a knee once you've already got his legs, hes simply going to fall on his rear end and save you the trouble of finishing the takedown.

I saw one of my friends fight this kid. They don't like eachother and it was more or less a street fight, although gentlemen's agreement not to use groin shots or eye gouges. Twice it ended up on the floor, and if one of them knew ground grappling, they would have been able to finish the other off. BJJ is definitely good. It also depends on the school. Some do a lot of takedowns, others don't.