• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is a MA that suggests that it is effective in the street. It uses grapling and other eclectic techniques. From what I understand it is a "whatever works use it" type of a style. As for compatability, although it is the same as kyokushin and taekwondo in that it is a martial art it is by concept different. Perhaps you can view a class (or a few classes) and better determine its compatability and your needs?

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Lots of leg/knee submissions, it's a great compliment to brazilian jiu jitsu because in bjj you usually avoid these kind of submissions.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Sambo is a modern martial arts developed in the USSR, which incorporates techniques from traditional Russian folkstyle wrestling, in addition to maneuveurs from Judo and Jiu Jitsu. Many people contributed to the artform's development, but the most noted were Vasili Oshchepkov and Victor Spiridonov, the former possessing a Nidan in Judo (trained under Kano Jigoro) and who also trained the Red Army. He also taught Karate (not sure what style).

http://molasar.blackmagic.com/ses/wrest/archive/1998/98jasso1.jpg http://molasar.blackmagic.com/ses/sombo/WCMatch.jpg

Sambo Competition heavily resembles a close combination of Freestyle Wrestling and Judo, where practitioners wear a Jacket (Kurtka, similar to a Gi, but with slits to place the belt/obi), Shorts, and Wrestling boot, or Traditional Sambo Boots. Unlike Judo, Sambo competition allows Leg Locks, but does not allow the use of Choking or Strangulation technique. However, in Sambo, one can also win a match via a clean, powerful throw, much like those that gain Ippon in Judo.

Personally, I think it would mix well with Kyokushin and Taekwondo. Mas Oyama himself was also an exponent of Judo. With regards to TKD, I see no reason why it would not sit well. I myself study both TKD, Judo and Jiu Jitsu, and so far no problems. As Sambo also includes Leglocks, you could possibly incorporate this knowledge with your knowledge of Taekwondo and Kyokushin kicking techniques to be able to intercept kicks and defending against them using leglocks. Some MMA fighters do this, such as Mazukazu Imanari, who is capable of catching his opponents legs after kicking, and trap them in a Leglock.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.