• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Art Kicks

Yeah, I think the Muay Thai kicks can often be much more deadly. I never see a MT kick coming when I'm watching. It seems to happen so effortlessly. That can also be true of TKD, but I think less common. Perhaps the MT footwork also helps. It's hard to develop a floating style, low to the ground bounce in TKD. You can often sense a move coming, although you don't always know what move it will be...

Someone just sent me this video link of a Taekwondo artist sparring against a Muay Thai guy. (If you haven't already seen it). It's great for comparison of the 2 styles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5585460401345378983&q=Muay+THai&pl=true

I love that video. The TKD fighter was definitely outmatched. He seemed a little arrogant and cocky, while the Thai fighter was very patient, toying with his adversary. If the Thai fighter had really been permitted to, he would have made hamburger out of the other guy. His kicks hurt to watch (did you hear that SMACK every time they connected? Ouch!). Definitely lessons to be learned--balance, simplicity, and power are very useful in winning fights.

That said, these are merely two fighters out of many. They do not necessarily represent the efficacy of their arts.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Thai Roundhouse?

Sorry for my ignorance but I've never heard of it before.

a roundhouse used in the "muay thai" style.

It has a slight variation to tkd in how the weight is distributed when kicking giving it more power but sacrificing some balance.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

The lack of hand pad drills, and the drilling of self-defense, knee kicks, and thai round kicks/low kicks in TKD is a DIRECT result of the popularity of Olympic style TKD. There are some schools that only train Olympic fighters, and it is diluting the subtleties of the art.

Kajukenbopr, a twist kick or twisting kick is a front snap kick say with the right leg that chambers across the left leg and shoots out at an angle towards the opponents left leg or your right. it is used to strike at the ribs, head, or knees. for the ribs or head you can use the instep of the foot, or for the head, ribs or, knees you can use the ball of the foot.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

Kajukenbopr, a twist kick or twisting kick is a front snap kick say with the right leg that chambers across the left leg and shoots out at an angle towards the opponents left leg or your right. it is used to strike at the ribs, head, or knees. for the ribs or head you can use the instep of the foot, or for the head, ribs or, knees you can use the ball of the foot.

yeah, we call it "wheel kick" at my school

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Yeah, I think the Muay Thai kicks can often be much more deadly. I never see a MT kick coming when I'm watching. It seems to happen so effortlessly. That can also be true of TKD, but I think less common. Perhaps the MT footwork also helps. It's hard to develop a floating style, low to the ground bounce in TKD. You can often sense a move coming, although you don't always know what move it will be...

Someone just sent me this video link of a Taekwondo artist sparring against a Muay Thai guy. (If you haven't already seen it). It's great for comparison of the 2 styles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5585460401345378983&q=Muay+THai&pl=true

Thanks for the video...the MT person had some real powerful roundhouse kicks. Reminds me of the move "Kickboxer" when Van Damme's character is kicking the tree...

The TKD person needs to work on the placement of his reverse turning kicks -- those can be real powerful when done properly.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That MT guy was impressive! He had booming power in his kicks, it was obvious in how his body moved that he was utilizing his entire body to kick. The TKD guy's kicks didn't have a lot of mustard on 'em. Looks like he was used to fighting for points.

Does MT routinely teach grabbing of the leg such as this fighter was doing or was he simply taking advantage of the TKD guy wearing pants?

Ed

Ed

Having studied Tang Soo Do and some TKD, I know the Korean arts indeed have some amazing kicks in their arsenal. But don't discount the Thai roundhouse kick, though. It's deceptively simple and devastating upon contact.

Respectfully,

Sohan

I feel this way as well. Simplicity is a good thing. Reference this thread: http://www.karateforums.com/the-best-kick-for-self-defense-vt27323.html