• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New here/feedback please

ARANUS

Hello my name is Jason,and I need to see if you folks could give me some advice/feedback/wisdom?I am new to martial arts, but I and my 8yr daughter are looking to start.What we have available to us in our area is Shotokan.TKD(not a fan of what is here) or American Freestyle Karate.Leaning more towards Shotokan,what do ya think

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Style is less important than the instructor and the program. A great martial art will not work if the instructor is not good or his program is sub-par. Every style has excellent instructors and poor ones.

Since you want your daughter to participate, the fun and excitement of the children's program is critical. Over time, she is probably less likely to perservere through a boring class than you are. It is my professional opinion that children and adult classes should not be together. An occasional "Family Class" is fine, but regular training should be suited to each specific age group. Try the children's classes in each school you are considering. In some schools you can feel the energy when you walk in the door. The kids should be well behaved but excited and working hard.

If the kid's classes are good, then check out the adult classes. Talk to some of the other students, try a few classes. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Look at your goals and see if they can help you ultimately reach them.

Definitely take a look at the quality of instruction as the primary factor in choosing a dojo/dojang in your area.

My dojo is such a fantastic place that we have students who *commute* to attend classes. I feel very fortunate to have found this place.

You might look at classes that are a little farther away, but where the quality is better than what's next door. Just as a suggestion. It's easy for me to say because I just moved and am only half a mile from my dojo.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

I think Shotokan is an excellent choice, but I am biased :) However, most school allow a trial membership. Talk to the instructors and take a few classes at each school and make your decision after attending and talking to instructor and his/her students.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.