• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guys giving in to ladies??

For me it's more an issue of strength and skill. If the other is below my skill/strength level, whether male or female, I usually adapt my own style so we can both benefit from our work together. I try not to make gender distinctions, and I always ask my partner if they want me to go harder, softer, faster, etc.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a green belt in BJJ?

The ranking system for adults in BJJ is white blue purple brown black

Children (under 18 years of age) have a separate ranking system. Under 18 is white yellow orange green. If you have a green belt by the time you're 16-18, thats often the equivalent of an adult blue belt in terms of skill, technique, and understanding of the style. At 16 you can get your blue, but you must be 18 to get your black belt. Black belts used to happen at 18 about 15 years ago with the Gracies, but since BJJ has become so much more competitive and complex, its very rarely seen anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

in jujutsu i normally dont take it easy on girls, i follow the rules and fight the same whether its guys or girls, in chun kuk do karate we are told to take it a little easier on girls (so i guess i have to)

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

Theres nothing wrong with training with the same intensity when training with women on the mat, but there are some things that you dont do- do dont cross face them from the back mount, and you dont smash their face when you're trying to choke them.

I think that guys go a bit lighter on ladies.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

For me it's more an issue of strength and skill. If the other is below my skill/strength level, whether male or female, I usually adapt my own style so we can both benefit from our work together. I try not to make gender distinctions, and I always ask my partner if they want me to go harder, softer, faster, etc.

Respectfully,

Sohan

i agree with sohan. in my dojo we have three different "distances" we work with:

sparring distance: the farthest away, easiest to be gentle in, controlled strikes, etc...

dojo distance: closer in, about one arm length, make contact

self defense: in their face, full contact

in sparring, i set my level around where the other person's is and train with them rather than beat them. this generally means not buldozing someone shorter than me as many girls and guys are (i'm 6'2" with a long reach).

in dojo, i gauge my strikes on their responses. i ask is this too hard? can i go harder? the girls usually surprise me with their ability to take a hit.

in self-defense, i usually practice with guys, and the female issue is not a problem. they haven't shown any desire to practice with us...wonder why? :P

it's important to work with your partner in training, not going too hard or too easy, whatever their sex or ability.

One more thing

I guess the point is that we all react to the situation and circumstances right?? I've once been grabbed by two guys who put their weight down onto my hand, my hand was kindda bruised, I guess theres a big strength difference between guys and girls huh...

One thing good about guys is that they have all the energy they need, whereas girls only have limited strength.

Guys out there pls comment.

Why do u say that women have limited strength?

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

For me its more the level of my opponent then anything else, both in sparring and in practice during classes. If I'm practicing against a lower rank, I'll go easier on them then I would a fellow black belt. We practice with very light contact. One of them women I sometimes work with has stated she prefers me coming in normally and not weakening my grabs or strikes becasue it works the techniques much better. Its the same with me... I'm only 5-8 and there are some pretty well build guys who can easily overpower me. By having them come in strong, it lets me know if my defence would really be effective against them or if I would simply be laughed at. I think the guys that go weaker are doing a dis-service to the women they practice with. Another instance of going lighter though, is if someone has injuries and cant be taken down or have any sort of lock done to a certain joint or area.

Heather, guys are stronger than women. It's not sexist, it's not even negative, it's just biology.

Can strength training help offset this disadvantage? Sure, to a point.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!