• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibuki Breathing

Simo

I have to say, since practicing Sanchin Kata, and using the ibuki breathing, i have found some performance in my asthma and when feeling sluggish, it motivates and refreshes my body?

How has it helped you?

Osu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess there are a lot of people who don't breath correctly (either they have a medical condition or they just don't know how). Fortunately I don't have asthma (to hear that ibuki has helped yours is fantastic), but I too have found a profound improvement in my ability to recover (get some oxygen into the blood, slow that heart rate down) when I work on using the things I have learnt from breathing exercises like ibuki and the like (simple meditation is fantastic for this too).

Only by contrast can we see

I've done ibuki breathing so much it's almost second nature. It's helped me take the edge off when an adrenaline rush comes. I don't know why, they just happen at the same time with me.

I don't have asthma, but I know people at the dojo that it's helped them tremendously as well.

yeh i have also found that it has made my core alot more stronger, and recovery much quicker, its so awesome how such old methods and natural methods can make a difference in your training and outside your training.

Osu

Yes, but I've read several articles about how all the older Goju practioners in Japan had severe health problems and most never lived past 60. The hypothesis was that the breathing caused high blood pressure and other problems.

Not sure if it is substantiated, but somethng to thing about.

I guess there are a lot of people who don't breath correctly (either they have a medical condition or they just don't know how). Fortunately I don't have asthma (to hear that ibuki has helped yours is fantastic), but I too have found a profound improvement in my ability to recover (get some oxygen into the blood, slow that heart rate down) when I work on using the things I have learnt from breathing exercises like ibuki and the like (simple meditation is fantastic for this too).

I agree. many, including myself, do not breath deeply. We breath (normally breathing) as if air costs money and we are charged for every breath. I have to start working on my normal breathing. Thanks for bringing this up. :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I agree. many, including myself, do not breath deeply. We breath (normally breathing) as if air costs money and we are charged for every breath. I have to start working on my normal breathing. Thanks for bringing this up. :)

That is a very good way of putting it, I too haven't invested the time in getting my breathing up to scratch, looks like we all need to work on it.

Only by contrast can we see

Yes, but I've read several articles about how all the older Goju practioners in Japan had severe health problems and most never lived past 60. The hypothesis was that the breathing caused high blood pressure and other problems.

Not sure if it is substantiated, but somethng to thing about.

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!

Not that runor again. This is often quoted because Miyagi died in his 60's. Let's go a little farther:

Meitoku Yagi died at 91 years of age

Toguchi died when he was 81

Miyazato died at 77

Three are many goju practitioners that trained into to their 70's and 80's, and many of them were HEAVY smokers! (Toguchi is a good example)

Seiko Higa died at 68, but he was also a heavy smoker. Try comparing these individual's lifespans to the average lfespan of their country at that given time. You'll see that they were leading an average lifespan and some exceeded the average. Also keep in mind- they lived as long as they did with having been through some times (or having bad health habits) that should have drastically affected their lifespan .

People making these short lifespan claims ignore what life was like in Okinawa at the end of and several years after WWII. Miyagi Sensei's health problems started at this time. But people ignore the fact he'd also lost many family members and friends to the war. Food was ppor, sanitation was horrible, and diseaese was a major problem. Read Goju Ryu II by Toguchi and you'll gain a better insight to Miyagi's health problems.

Also- on the high blood pressure. Tests have been taken, and the increase in blood pressure is the same as experienced with MODERATE weight lifting. This is because the dynamic tension in Sanchin works the muscles and the cardio system in the same manner that lifting weights does. Funny how no one says they need to stop lifting weights because of this effect.

Edited by swdw

As with everything else in life, there are limits. Old men should not perform Sanchin, for example, as a youth would. One of Itosu precepts was

"Do not put too much strain on yourself while you are practicing, otherwise you will get bloodshot and your face will turn red. These are signs of over-practice which will ruin your health in time."

Old man cannot practice like then did when they were young nor should they. I am not suggesting a right or wrong. This is just what I was taught and was cautioned about. I have no reason to do otherwise at this point in my life. To each his own.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt