• Hughes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gracie usually only fights with "special rules" in the ufc, so he definately doesn't have the experince in this specific format. (especially not recently) and Matt Hughes is kind of a beast right now.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I'm going with Gracie, because I think his skill is dominant over Hughes. I don't recall what special rules Gracie fought under in the past, but regardless, that guy's amazing technically. Matt Hughes is a strong, tough, and talented guy, with a a lot of experience, great conditioning, and definitely some skill, but Royce has seen this before many times, and has won many times. I don't think UFC 60 will be any different. As for Ortiz/Griffin: I hope Griffin wins. Not because I have any animosity towards Ortiz, I just really want to see Forrest make a run for the title.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I will be going For Royce Gracie But if I had to bet my money would be on hughes.
That seems to be the common sentiment.

I think the most interesting thing about this fight is that this is the first time Royce has been the underdog since UFC 1.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

ill be rooting for hughes, but it will be a good fight. and i think ortiz will give shammy another pounding. lol

I have heard talk recently that Hughes wants to beat Gracie at his own game--on the ground. I think that would be a mistake on Matt's part; Royce is 39 now and likely doesn't have the stamina nor the chin that he had in his 20's so he might be prime for a standup KO if Hughes can squash his takedowns. Gracie is still a formidable opponent, and I would love to see him do it for the rest of us older fighters, but if Hughes is smart, I don't see Royce defeating him.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 4 weeks later...

When Gracie fought, it was style vs. style. Now, the sport has evolved, and everyone in it that is competitive knows how to strike, kick, and grapple. If he has not enhanced his training, then he going to get trounced.

Personally, I am cheering for Hughes.

That's the problem though, both Gracie and Hughes are comfortable on the ground. Gracie is comfortable on his back, and Matt Hughes is comfortable having opponents on their back. Gracie's age will be a concern for him, but his technicality will be a concern for Hughes. I'll be rooting for Hughes though, gotta stick up for the Midwest.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War