• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few questions JJ-related

First off i was thinking of possibly starting a JJ related art, (Or a grappling art in general) and I came across this place: Pasadena Academy

of Self Defense. Aparently they have a type of JJ that is pretty deadly, and i quote: "Due to the degree of effectiveness of the techniques taught in our Academy, we do not engage in competitions or tournaments." This is called "Kempo JuJutsu." And Here is more about this place.

I kinda wanted to join a more effective combative art but im not really sure about this place. I haven't gone or sat in at a class which i am planning to do very soon, but i just wanted to get your opinons on this place, and on this art of "Kempo JuJutsu," Especially if any of you have had any experience with or know something about the effectiveness of combat JJ. (or if they turn out to be fakes :dodgy:

And if this doesnt seem like the way to go for you, what grappling stlye have you found to be most effective for you? (Not so much ground fighting ala BJJ but more clinch or standup grappling)

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just about every finish I know could kill or seriously hurt someone yet I compete in tournaments all the time.

Dont get caught up in the whole "too deadly for competiton" theme. When it comes down to it a simple RNC can end a persons life in a matter of seconds or minutes but you can train full force with it on a day to day basis.

As far as effective Standup grappling my best advice would be judo, sambo, or Greco roman wrestling. Combine it with a muay thai clinch and you have some effective clinch striking.

JJJ seems a good fit- of course most JJJ doesn't have tourny's because of the danger, so like TJS said, I wouldn't go on that. Are there any other grappling schools in the area? If there is another and you go to both, explaining what you are looking for and checking out both, usually someone at one gym will tell you the good/bad points of their's and the other.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Well from the google search I just did on kempo jujutsu, it is definitely a real style, and seems to be a mix of japanese ju jutsu and kempo striking (go figure) forms of self defense. There are a bunch of sites that came up, many of them schools that teach the style. From the info I read on the link that you posted Earth, the school seems legitimate, but as always, go see a class, (and try one out if possible) and talk to the instructor about his training and certifications, and your own goals for your training. This is the only way to know if a school is the right fit for you or not.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Thanks for your help guys. I don't really want to limit myself to a school that doesn't take part in competitions, because i have found that those kind of schools don't produce better fighters than those who do. (usually) But if the class seems solid ill probably try it out. If i see 10 year old kids in a so-called "Warrior Course," i think i will reconsider. When i see this kinda stuff written: "NOTE: This is hard and demanding, the mental discipline and spiritual discipline with the physical development will direct the Martial Artist to reach their ultimate potential." Makes me think of Old Japanese Master taking in a young grasshopper, and putting him through very difficult, physicaly and mentally draining training. But in the real world, this is never the case. Its usually a bunch of kids running back and forth doing jump kicks in a line or something. :dodgy: Nothing wrong with that just not my idea of super master hand to hand training thats requires "mental and spiritual discipline."

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

• 2 weeks later...

Definately go with the Judo, Sambo, or Greco.

I dont buy into that whole "too deadly to practice" type things. I've trained with numerous guys who claimed they were dangerous- what they think they can do and what they can actually do are completely different things.

• 2 weeks later...

greco is ok but the rules are to limiting. i take jjj our school dont do tourneys but u can always find outside grappling tournaments like i do. they cost a little and u might have to travel but i find they are worth it cause u get the experiance of fighting along with some kool traveling

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"