• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good technique will always win over strength.

that's not true.

as for the original post though, good job. I think most newbs start with that "I gotta win" mentality when it comes to bjj - that is about the only thing that keeps them alive while rolling, as they don't know as many, if any techniques. As time goes on, they learn more and will typically automatically learn to relax. It's all a progression.

Like I said, its a progression that I've been through myself.

No, technique will not always win over strength. I agree with you there.

A good technique means good solid strength, so I say it would. Unless your fighting some giant...or an animal, but for the average person or Martial artist.

Not to mention, I think the RIGHT technique will win over strength, this requires strength on your own side though. I also believe the second part is a more fair response, Example: If a really hard kicker is going to be able to smash through one of my blocks, then I must use a different technique to survive, perhaps moving out of the way...theres technique in stance also.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
A good technique means good solid strength, so I say it would. Unless your fighting some giant...or an animal, but for the average person or Martial artist.

nah. I'm tyson's size - about 5'10 and 225 - 230. I lift weights constantly. Even without proper technique, I would give hell to a guy that weighs 150 - 160 by sheer strength advantage alone. I am an average size, but still much bigger than this opponent. That is why there are weight classes in organized fighting. I've had a judo match against a guy I outranked, but he was 6'3 and weighed 335. He gave me a VERY hard time, just because it's hard to work with his size and strength. my last kickboxing match was against a guy who was 6'3 and 300lbs. We fought to a decision because I couldn't KO him. He was just plain too freakin big. I kicked him in the head and staggered him, but I couldn't drop him. And I'm not a little guy.

Look what tank abbot did to a lot of trained guys in the early UFCs.

nah. I'm tyson's size - about 5'10 and 225 - 230. I lift weights constantly. Even without proper technique, I would give hell to a guy that weighs 150 - 160 by sheer strength advantage alone. I am an average size, but still much bigger than this opponent. That is why there are weight classes in organized fighting. I've had a judo match against a guy I outranked, but he was 6'3 and weighed 335. He gave me a VERY hard time, just because it's hard to work with his size and strength. my last kickboxing match was against a guy who was 6'3 and 300lbs. We fought to a decision because I couldn't KO him. He was just plain too freakin big. I kicked him in the head and staggered him, but I couldn't drop him. And I'm not a little guy.

Agree to all points.

The obvious point that needs to be made is that there are different degrees of "having good technique" and different degrees of "having strength."

Bottom Line: It's important to be fast, strong, flexible, AND technical.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Bottom Line: It's important to be fast, strong, flexible, AND technical.

I can defitnaly agree to that.

I can see your point here. Well said.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn