• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to start Muay Thai but...

I want to join a martial art, and muay thai caught my interest, partly because i am a fan of UFC. But my dad is weiry...he thinks it could be dangerous. I am 15, almost 16 and am athletic. I'm 5'11" 165 lbs. I am on the swimming and water polo team at school and work out regularly. Over the last 6 months i have gained stength, muscle and endurance. I used to take TKD as a little kid, but lost interest after about a year. I want an effective style, and also fun, and i think muay thai could be good. I believe i can handle the intense work and training for muay thai, since I go through that every day with swimming. I think now that Im older I can take it more seriously...I talked with my dad, and he isnt exactly excited about me doing boxing, and would rather me do BJJ or something. He always says "I dont know if i want you doing a sport where the goal is to knock the other guy out." But I think I can do it. can anyone give me some insight on how brutal and intense it really is? thanks :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah ok thats what i thought...I just want to train in it. And maybe fight when I think I'm ready. thanks for the imput.

You don't have to worry about being put into the ring any time soon. That decision will only come up if YOU absolutely want to, and that you have proven that you are ready, which will take quite a bit of time training. Starting muay thai will only mean a good workout and learning a useful martial art. Not really much of a chance for you to get hurt in normal training conditions.

Chuck Norris once commented, "There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact, there are none."

and that you have proven that you are ready, which will take quite a bit of time training.

maybe... depends on the person and how well they learn. Also depends on what you consider a long time. One of our guys has only been training for like 7 months and last weekend won his first ring fight with a guy who had been training for like 4 years... I agree with everything else you said though.

I agree with the other posters. If you just want a workout, the risk of injury is not as great. Sprains & strains mainly. Find a gym that will understand that all you want to do is fitness & you'll be ok. The issue often is, when you get into that atmosphere, you'll wanna get into the ring. That's ok, too. Break it gently to your folks. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

haha yea...my dad would be against me fighting competetivly, because he was injured from a hard knock to the head while playing football...doesnt want me to get hurt. But if i get good...who knows maybe i would. and getting a good work out isnt the only reason i want to do it. Im doing vigorous exercise every day with swimming. but I think I will pick it up quickly, since i have good strength and endurance, and have some experience with punshing and kicking from TKD.

I've seen some people enter the ring with only 2-3 months of training but I personally think this is too short. I think someone can be ready in about 6 months, though..this is my general rule, if they train hard for 6 months they can enter the ring. Green fighters go "balls to the wall", usually, and the most important factor for someone's first fight is to have GOOD CONDITIONING.

I started out in Muay Thai at about your age and my father had some concerns, as well but I came directly from a karate background...he kind of gave up because he realized I was going to do it sooner or later.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

yea. well i'm now taking MMA classes, which has a good amount of muay thai in it. and i take a separate muay thai class once a week. so, far i love it. Ive picked it up good so far. I can see myself sticking with it. :)

But do you actually learn the self-defense aspect of Muay Thai, as in anything useful in a fight if you don't actually fight in the ring? I always thought the only way to know how to fight was to actually fight, no learnt set of actions will work unless you know what it's like to be punched in the head and you don't panic...