• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First time sparring

Jp656

sparring isn't about "winning"...Not to say that there wasn't a time that I was a white belt or had yellow/orange belt syndrome. Sparring is about practicing techniques and strategies you haen't done much in order to get better. I have a motto when it comes to sparring: You set the pace. Meaning that if I spar a knucklehead that wants to go hard I'll go just as hard back.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

as powerofOne alluded to: fight at your own pace. Don't let your opponent set the pace, whether you are going slower or faster than him, keep him at your pace and use your defensive techniques to setup your offensive ones.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Yea, Shin gaurds, not that nessasary,

Then again

My shins get banged up alot at school,

When a girl kicks you its either in the shin or the crotch, And i can block my crotch so they kick my shin

....Still hurts

Yeah yeah, Shut up already

Begginer-2nd degree white

When a girl kicks you its either in the shin or the crotch, And i can block my crotch so they kick my shin

....Still hurts

Unless they train at a dojo or are a cheerleader. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

haha yea, a cheerleader punched me in the stomach for saying hi, Apararently i was using a load town and she was parkt of some rape escape system,

Theyve got all the rights in the world to protect themself, But theres a time for that, And its now when you say hi...

Yeah yeah, Shut up already

Begginer-2nd degree white

have to agree with the rest just relax and try to enjoy sparring I always seem to better when it is a fun thing rather than i'm trying to punch someone's lights out. When you are relaxed things flow much better. Relax and don't forget to breath

don't focus on how fast or where he is gonna strike. just focus on how u r gonna defend, counter, and strike. try combos. use an attack that slides into another attack or defensive move. let it flow. try not to get close and let him attack. dodge it and counter attack.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

I like to focus on just one or two techniques when I'm sparring. If I simply try to "win" be reacting, my improvement is limited. However, if try to set up a technique by leading my opponent into it, and then execute the technique I actually get much better at the technique.

Sparring to win doesn't really belong in the dojo. If you are better than your opponent, it is your duty to help them. If you are not as skilled as your opponent, by definition, you can't win, and you shouldn't take advantage of a sempai that is allowing you to practice your technique.

That said, pre-competition, especially full contact competition, sparring should be an almost all out deal.

IMHO

Try to stay loose (not tense up), go for combinations (odds are that your opponent will block your first strike, but if your second strike follows quickly and to a different area of the body, then you might land it), do fakes, and make sure you keep good stances. Other than that, just have fun! :karate: