• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First time sparring

Jp656

Hey, I just started in Okiwan Karate, And i am now a 2nd white belt which at my dojo it means to have a stripe on each side of my belt, then with 2 on each side i would be 3rd, BUt anyway, My sparring equpment came in and my first time sparring will be in about 30 hours, I am 105 pounds and I think around 5-5.5 ft in hight, Im sparring against someone about 110 and probbaly a total of 2-4 inches taller than me, Ive known this kid for about 6 years and one thing i know is he's not fast and about the same strenght as myself,

So,

Any tips?

Yeah yeah, Shut up already

Begginer-2nd degree white

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Relax. Have fun. Relax more. Have more fun.

Really, being relaxed is the key. If you are tense, you will be incredibly slow, mentally and physically. If you are relaxed, there is no telling how good you will be able to do. That said, never, never, never ever settle into a back-and-forth rythm. Secondly, watch for your opponent to settle into a back-and-forth rythm. If (s)he does, wait for the point when (s)he is about to shift away from you, then explode with your favorite combo. Lastly, relax and have fun.

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Its just a practice, But we've waited on this awhile me and him, This is really gonna be a match

Like Whitefeather said, just stay relaxed. Keep on the balls of your feet, don't overanalyze yourself and keep up the combos. If your partner is agreeable, start out a little light and then speed it up when you both get a little more comfortable with it. Just remember it's practice and not competition, if you or he mess up, it's just learning.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Yeh, and stay chill. You're gonna get hit. Just be sure to hit back :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Well, Im wearing a hell of alot of equipment, Ill be fine, THanks, Keep this post runnign i'll get back to you on how it goes

Yea, Yer right by that, Anyway, guess what

My first class along with the fight is being postponed, Aparently i still need shin gaurds, So it wont be till next week.....Whatever, I can wait