• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional or Competitions?

Simo

I think that schools should teach both ways in order to allow students to train hard in whatever disipline they are interested. However, as far as training for tournaments and such, those given students should have a firm head as to what they are training for. I agree with the comment "points fighters tend to stick to their ways", and I think there is a good arguement there to control the styles that a particular student does as to not embarrass the school when they try an illegal or an unorthodox tatic that is not appropriate for a given tournament.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOM, I have to tell you, I have really tried hard to find a non open tournament in the area. Going online and posting tournaments for my area, only bring up point rated types of competition. I have even gone to individual websites to see if certain schools were holding tournaments. I have actually lost interest. My instructor does not promote nor does he discourage tournament competition. He used to compete alot in his early Dan grades. He said tournaments have changed alot and he no longer has interest in them. I now agree.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 1 month later...

If you can fight and win against all in dojo fine, but then where do you go? Competition allows you to assess yourself against others outside of the dojo.

what if u go out in the real world?

theres no stopping the attack to reform?

explain?

Osu

This topic is sensitive to most instructors. I have said it before and I will say it again.......the best style is the one that wins, wether it's fighting or kata.

Open your mind and understand that if you only compete against your own particular style, the most that you can accomplish is being a big fish in a small pond.

I see more comments on instructors losing interest in tournaments because of judging or a host of other ancillary excuses.

It's not always the judges fault..sometimes people just don't train hard enough .

Don't raise a generation of victims, instructors need to be honest with students and let them know if their technique stinks.

This topic is sensitive to most instructors. I have said it before and I will say it again.......the best style is the one that wins, wether it's fighting or kata.

Open your mind and understand that if you only compete against your own particular style, the most that you can accomplish is being a big fish in a small pond.

I see more comments on instructors losing interest in tournaments because of judging or a host of other ancillary excuses.

It's not always the judges fault..sometimes people just don't train hard enough .

Don't raise a generation of victims, instructors need to be honest with students and let them know if their technique stinks.

I don't necessarily agree with the whole...best style is the one that wins stuff. Sometimes people don't care about self defense or tournaments. They just do it to stay in shape or for a family event and so on. But I do agree whole heartedly that you can't and shouldn't always blame the judges.

During my competition years...I made a point to ask each judge what they felt I could do better. I'd say about 85% always had something valid. Every once in a while I would get a guy who simply said, "I just don't understand Kung Fu." One guy complained that the color of my staff was wrong?!? But most were completely valid in their thoughts. I won several national championships because I asked the judges how to improve, took their advice to my Sifu, and we made decisions from there.

Additionally, in all the arts I have studied, my instructors have always been willing to tell me if a technique was good or bad. I'm glad they did. Afterall...that's their responsibility.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I have said it before and I will say it again.......the best style is the one that wins, wether it's fighting or kata.

Actually its the karate-ka not the style. Personally, i think all styles have there own advantages and disadvantages. Its up to the karate-ka to perfect there technique, because no style is complete, it goes behond.

Simo

Osu