• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You also don't have to be concerned with the formalities of someone "out-ranking" you. This helps to keep things more open-ended, and allows the practitioners to be more open-minded.

Definetly. Its also important to have or build at least some kind of friendship with your training partners. My training partners these days are all likeminded friends of mine who are interested in learning, and teach me more than enough to keep me going at the same time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also don't have to be concerned with the formalities of someone "out-ranking" you. This helps to keep things more open-ended, and allows the practitioners to be more open-minded.

Definetly. Its also important to have or build at least some kind of friendship with your training partners. My training partners these days are all likeminded friends of mine who are interested in learning, and teach me more than enough to keep me going at the same time.

This also helps to make the training environment more comfortable as well. Not to mention the benefits of not having to worry about the material for your next testing.

True. You can also spend the time on what you need to, with no pressure to "finish up in 5 minutes" so class can proceed to the next thing. And, no one is watching you. That can be very freeing.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my first kickboxing class tonight. I've done it some before, but never in an actual class. I'll let you know how it goes.

As long as the Red Baron isn't there you'll be fine! :)

Best of luck!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

It was good! I am the oldest one in the class, but no worries. It's basically Muay Thai without elbows to the face. Their website is https://www.jungsumartialarts.com. The full-contact sparring will be rough - we saw a demo tonight - but I'm looking forward to it.

We started with conditioning, then moved to some punches, then some kicks, then some knees. My flexibility is not good in my lower body, so that will take some time to build up a bit. We ended with some actual mild kicks to each others' thighs to get the students used to being hit. Most are beginners but not all.

I like the instructor. He is nice but no-nonsense; he doesn't put up with fooling around but isn't mean. He's all about fighting and so am I. :)

Now, of course, all my karate gear is the vinyl-covered foam stuff (Lighting by ProForce) that won't work for MT, so I have to buy all new gear except for my groin protector. Figures.

I am looking forward to starting my training journal again. :karate:

Thanks guys! It's great to get back into training.

"10, 20 30, 40, 50 or more..."

Thanks, Bushido. We'll see if I can hang with the full contact. Bare knee strikes to my chest or a missed kick that takes out my knee would be bad. The demo we saw was pretty brutal and may be more than I'm willing to endure, given what goes on in the rest of my life. I'll take it a class at a time. :karate: