• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too bad, but good on you for recognizing it, Cross. I've found that finding a good class with people you like and a focus that matches yours is more important than the style it teaches.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that finding a good class with people you like and a focus that matches yours is more important than the style it teaches.

Definetly, one problem is often people start training without really knowing what they want to acheive, and they hang around because they find benifits, even if it doesnt really mean alot in their life.

Cross, you never answered Bushido Man 96's good question: why not train both? And what answers were you looking for that you didn't find?

Cross, you never answered Bushido Man 96's good question: why not train both?

I could have trained both, but i dont really have the inclination to do that.

And what answers were you looking for that you didn't find?

A systematic approach to self defence. Needless to say i didnt find that after i returned to karate, which forced me to start training on my own and with my own partners. Havnt looked back.

I have trained this way most of the time. It is great - someone you respect whose company you enjoy, mutual teaching and learning, discussions of strategy and technique in the middle of a fight, and a path that you both agree to and change as desired. Good luck!

It is great - someone you respect whose company you enjoy, mutual teaching and learning, discussions of strategy and technique in the middle of a fight, and a path that you both agree to and change as desired. Good luck!

Exactly. Thanks alot for the comments.

It is great - someone you respect whose company you enjoy, mutual teaching and learning, discussions of strategy and technique in the middle of a fight, and a path that you both agree to and change as desired. Good luck!

Exactly. Thanks alot for the comments.

And no 'yes sir, no sir' to worry about!

Precisely why I like it.

The renshi at my old dojo liked to pull me out of class and teach me personally off to the side of the dojo, probably because we were both military and about the same age (old guys). Our kids were in school together and we became friends. The younger senseis would ask me why we talked while we were sparring. I told them I learned better through real-time learning and feedback with an active conversation with my opponent than by people yelling advice at me from the sideline. Sometimes you need to just shut up and fight, but it's nice to be able to do both.

One-on-one has a lot going for it.

And no 'yes sir, no sir' to worry about!

Certainly, its alot easier to learn, for me anyway, when you can openly question the reason for doing everything, if the answer doesnt make sense, scrap it.

You also don't have to be concerned with the formalities of someone "out-ranking" you. This helps to keep things more open-ended, and allows the practitioners to be more open-minded.