• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan and goju ryu...

Nick_sam

many thanks.. can you tell me any more about this place? tried googling kawasoe and couldnt find anything about his london dojo..

interesting what you said about them both starting and ending at the same point. somehow i can see that makes sense :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which shotokan do you do, killer miller?? i notice you're jka (the shotokan i'm looking at is also jka). how does yours compare to goju...?

thanks, didnt know there were two different types of shotokan that were apparently so different!!

If you are looking for JKA style karate ,why not look up Master kawasoe 7th dan who I believe is teaching in shepherds bush area in London.

traditional Shotokan and Gojuryu start at the same point and eventualy reach the same point .

I assume you are referring to kata. My sensei said that that is a Shotokan trademark--beginning and ending at the same point. I wasn't aware of that since we don't emphasize it in Shorin-ryu. I find that an interesting difference.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Dear sohan

I was not referring to kata ,I was not aware of this.

I meant their concepts in martial arts is the same .they start at the same point ,hard basics to develop the coordination between mind and body,

may emphesise on diferrent aspects of the art but eventualy reach the same point .

you are right, in shotokan kata starts and finishes at the same point but i diden't know it was the same in Gojuryu.

never give up !

many thanks.. can you tell me any more about this place? tried googling kawasoe and couldnt find anything about his london dojo..

interesting what you said about them both starting and ending at the same point. somehow i can see that makes sense :)

you are welcome ,here is Kawazoe's karate association

number I picked up in shotokan karate magazine :01505-359768.

Good luck ,he is a top quality teacher .a product of JKA ,you will not be dissapointed !

A good fiend of mine who was a 4th dan in shotokan went off to akido and he is now a master and runs the club and has been asking me to go train with them .do you have any advice on that ?

never give up !

go and train in aikido.. at least give it a go.

karate and aikido are very very different, yet they do hold a lot of similarities. i find that karate would help with the aikido and aikido helps you really understand how the body works in terms of its mechanics, balance and movement. i love aikido and it will always be my first art. :)

where is the club your friend runs? and what shotokan club do you go to (if you dont mind my asking!)??

Yes, JKA Shotokan. I can't really compare with Goju Ryu. However, true traditional Shotokan is far more versatile than most might think - if you stick with it to higher levels. But, if you compare with lower levels, it may not appear that way. When we attack, yes we are quite linear and direct in our attacks - shortest point to target from point A to B. But when not attacking, we are Very relaxed and ready to go any direction and make any necessary movement.

- Killer -

which shotokan do you do, killer miller?? i notice you're jka (the shotokan i'm looking at is also jka). how does yours compare to goju...?

thanks, didnt know there were two different types of shotokan that were apparently so different!!

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

go and train in aikido.. at least give it a go.

karate and aikido are very very different, yet they do hold a lot of similarities. i find that karate would help with the aikido and aikido helps you really understand how the body works in terms of its mechanics, balance and movement. i love aikido and it will always be my first art. :)

where is the club your friend runs? and what shotokan club do you go to (if you dont mind my asking!)??

My friend Paul Bonnett runs a club in Brighton . I trained in shotokan with sensei Dave Hazard "7th dan" since 1985 .His club in Brighton is now run by one of his senior students sensei Lavender" 5th dan" which I occasionaly visit .

I will go to aikido ,I am already familiar with some techniques which exist in our katas ,but it would be nice to take it a stage further and deeper .

my only problem is finding the time !

never give up !

yes, a deciding factor in my taking up karate and which place i go to is whether i can fit it into my week and it doesnt clash with aikido. that really narrows down the choices! but i think that the aikido would do wonders for karate and vice versa. its like seeing the other side of the coin. :)

"I am already familiar with some techniques which exist in our katas"... that intrigues me. can you enlighten me as to what move exists in which kata?? linking the two arts is kinda what i am after!

"I am already familiar with some techniques which exist in our katas"... that intrigues me. can you enlighten me as to what move exists in which kata?? linking the two arts is kinda what i am after!

All the holds and locks in katas are similar to aikido moves ,the last parts of heian sandan and the third and sixth move in heian godan immediately comes to mind. they are all over our katas.

I was watching a master swordsman of iado (I think ) on TV and his stances and movements and tactics were exactly the same as I could find in Karate !

never give up !

From what i know about the differences between Shotokan and Goju Ryu are the following things:

1. In Shotokan, it is more competition based, unlike Goju.

2. Shotokan includes alot more of a reaching stance, example, when in the stance zankutsu dachi, it is extended more than Goju. Which leads to my next point;

I certainly don't agree with number one, where I train we are not at all a competition based style. number two is correct kinda but it's not reaching that we do, we have longer stances for kihon (basics) becuase we believe if you can do a kick, punch, etc from that positoin it will be even easier to do in a more natural stance. Our stances like all styles in karate I think also train the hips and get proper conection.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata