• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan and goju ryu...

Nick_sam

hi there,

i was wondering what the differences are between shotokan and goju ryu schools of karate? i already do aikido and feel like i'd like to do something completely different as well!

i know that shotokan is quite linear and fairly low (correct me if i'm wrong!), but know nothing about goju ryu. i took a class in shotokan last night and really enjoyed it :)

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i know about the differences between Shotokan and Goju Ryu are the following things:

1. In Shotokan, it is more competition based, unlike Goju.

2. Shotokan includes alot more of a reaching stance, example, when in the stance zankutsu dachi, it is extended more than Goju. Which leads to my next point;

3. Goju is more a close quater style, where as Shotokan attacks and defence is over a distance, espically when sparring.

Well personally i think they are some differences between both styles and being a Goju Ryu pracitioner i think Shotokan has its good points, and i think a Shotokan student/sensei/shihan what not wuld have the same views..

Osu

If you are fortunate enough to have both a Shotokan and a Gojuryu school near you I would take the opportunity to vist both, talk with the instructor and maybe even take a few classes of each to better determine your path selection. Good luck in your selection

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

From what i know about the differences between Shotokan and Goju Ryu are the following things:

1. In Shotokan, it is more competition based, unlike Goju.

I wouldn't say so, not for Canada anyway...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Shotokan is more linear in movement and goju ryu does have more of a circular movement to it. Goju-ryu is based on Sanchin and shotokan is not. I think they both are great systems I would love the opportunity to train in Goju-ryu but there are not any dojos around here that I know of.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Our Shotokan school definitely does not focus at all on Tournament training. Our instructor teaches traditional kata, self defense techniques, techniques against weapons, etc.... I have myself attended many tournaments with the blessing of the head instructor; however, tournaments are not his "thing" and he does not attend any or send a whole school to one. I questioned for awhile why, and I discovered on my own. Tournaments have become a showcase of gymnastics, acrobats, and negative social politics. The display of sportsmanship has diminished. Traditionalists are rarely seen and rarely do well. Because of this, I too no longer attend very many tournaments, unless it is a small school holding a traditional not for points- tournament.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Our Shotokan school definitely does not focus at all on Tournament training. Our instructor teaches traditional kata, self defense techniques, techniques against weapons, etc.... I have myself attended many tournaments with the blessing of the head instructor; however, tournaments are not his "thing" and he does not attend any or send a whole school to one. I questioned for awhile why, and I discovered on my own. Tournaments have become a showcase of gymnastics, acrobats, and negative social politics. The display of sportsmanship has diminished. Traditionalists are rarely seen and rarely do well. Because of this, I too no longer attend very many tournaments, unless it is a small school holding a traditional not for points- tournament.

I agree, tournaments are apart of training its specialty training. Learning new aspects of Karate such as being under pressure and keeping your composure, or when sparring, you get to spar agaisnt many different types of people and abilities. Thats what Master Okazaki pretty much said when he was at a local clinic.

Unfortunatly, I cant decide if I want to attend tournaments,as I think we only have 2-4 a year, including the National competition.

My belief is that Karateka have to earn approval of their instructor to participate in any tournament like event in that martial art, since they are representing their own dojo, it only makes sence not to embarress yourself with students who dont train hard and seem to get into "advanced" levels.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

The focus of traditional karate (shotokan) is definately NOT tournaments. However, there is a heavy focus to apply what you learn - Kumite... Morover, traditional shotokan tournaments are actually part of the learning process in terms of your test or report card of what you have learned.

This is traditional Shotokan.

Now, there is a huge crowd of "non-traditional" Shotokan practioners and tournaments. This is a whole 'nother world than the traditional tournaments. This is what most of you commonly see and compare the traditional crowd as being - which we are not. The non-traditional tournaments have more of the non-standard belt colors, gis, techniques, flashy guards and uneccessary types of contact rules.

So when you compare Goju Ryu with Shotokan, you should actually state it as comparing Goju Ryu vs Traditional Shotokan vs Non-Traditional Shotokan. There is a world of difference between the Traditional and Non-Traditional Shotokan practioners. In fact, they are not even the same organizations... Even in traditional Shotokan there are about three main different organizations.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

which shotokan do you do, killer miller?? i notice you're jka (the shotokan i'm looking at is also jka). how does yours compare to goju...?

thanks, didnt know there were two different types of shotokan that were apparently so different!!

which shotokan do you do, killer miller?? i notice you're jka (the shotokan i'm looking at is also jka). how does yours compare to goju...?

thanks, didnt know there were two different types of shotokan that were apparently so different!!

If you are looking for JKA style karate ,why not look up Master kawasoe 7th dan who I believe is teaching in shepherds bush area in London.

traditional Shotokan and Gojuryu start at the same point and eventualy reach the same point .

never give up !