• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am in need of some advice. Are there any female boxers out there to give me a perspective?

I am interested in trying out boxing. Whether for purely fitness or trying a totally different art form I am not sure yet.

How are you finding it - does anyone know of any clubs that are in the N/West of England area?

:-?

Karate Ni Sentinashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contemplated doing boxing, but after reviewing my options, I decided to do kickboxing. One of the main reasons was that I was not sure I would be able to keep my arms going all that time, as is required for total dedication to boxing.

Instead I do kickboxing and for me this seems to work out well. I know that a lot of people knock kickboxing, but it's very good aerobic exercise and the kicking part also helps my tae kwon do.

For the boxing, when I was in America, studying WTF TKD, the emphasis was on kicks not punches, so when I came to England and started studying ITF TKD most people could knock me out because I wasn't used to using my arms as much. LOL

Anyway, the main reason I started this was to help with my punches, hooks, jabs, etc. and I am finding that it is working out very well. I thought it would be straight forward to learn the different techniques, but when I put them into combinations and drills I find that it requires a lot of concentration.

In our club, we are also very lucky because we have Neville Brown (former British Middleweight boxing champion) who trains a class once a month. He will hold the pads and call out techniques and each student responds accordingly (one student at a time through the class of course).

I think this adds to the interest in the club.

Also, on Sunday 9th April, 2006, we are again lucky enough to have a course (we have two courses a year) and this one will include:

Paul Taylor (World Kickboxing champion and world Thai-Boxing champion), Tommy Thompson - Senior ABA boxing coach and Neville Brown.

I have a personality that likes a bit of variety, and so this helps my boxing abilities very well.

Thanks bluetulip

I did consider kickboxing. Am slightly worried however as I have a long term knee complaint that I cant do anything about. Not sure how this will affect me with kickboxing?

Even at karate I find some of the stances etc difficult to master - purely because of the pain I tend to go through!

Where is it you study?

Karate Ni Sentinashi

KarateK,

I study kickboxing in Derby at a local sports centre. There are opportunities to train many times each week but I just try to focus on twice a week when I can (I also have tkd once a week and aikido twice a week).

I too have had problems with my knees. When I was younger I had severe problems and then when I moved to America they disappeared! After a while, I realized that I needed a 'heat' treatment and in D.C. the sun shone 90 - 100 degrees in the summer and that took care of my problem. Now that I am back in England (and the weather has been so cold for so long) I have been looking at alternative options.

This in turn has made me so happy that I can kick it adds to the training each time I do it.

I am not sure what your problem with your knee is, but have you looked at alternative options?

Anyway, if you cannot resolve your knee problems, then I think that boxing would be a very good option. My only hope is that in boxing, you have options that are similar to kickboxing and that is lots of exercise and controlled punches against pads and a grading system so that a black belt (or whatever the system of grading is in boxing) doesn't come over and try to knock you out on day one!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to choose. :D

I'm not a woman, but it is hard to find boxing gyms that accept women training there. Look around & on boxinggyms.com. They should have a good list of gyms that welcome women. Happy hunting.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

OO thanks for the link.

Am also visiting a local Shotokan club next week - I love Shukokai Karate but I am interested in having a go at some other styles.

Boxing for me is something I have watched with my dad since I was little, I get so enthralled watching it, and now feel semi-ready to try my hand.

Wish me luck!!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

• 2 weeks later...

http://insidewomensboxing.com

Seems to be a good place for info on the sport. Good luck.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 8 months later...

I liked boxing but found it frustrating not to be able to use my legs. Felt like I was only using half my body. I start KB in a couple of weeks.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.