• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido

shotokanwarrior

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in theory, its an absolutely flawless system. in actual practicality is another matter altogether. granmasterchen is right - it depends how good YOU are and how well you can apply the knowledge you've attained in classes. this aside, tho, i reckon aikido is one of those arts that is very effective but takes a long long time until this effectivness truly comes into play.

my 2 cents :)

Anyone here in to the art of aikido, if so what are your thoughts of it in a real fight?

there is no fighting in aikido. It's for self-defense. Aikido, is not ment to be a fighting art. Really what aikido is, is training the mind to over come tendences so you can react to a situation. Aikido helps you find your center. It helps you give and draw energy to and from everyone.

But, there are lot of good join-locks and take-downs that are pretty useful. Aikido might be able to hold it's own in a fight.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

i have nothing against Aikido but the way they practice is not helping them, i've seen 4 guys throwing themselvse in and the center guy use their momentum to throw them around but in reality if they encounter a trained person they wouldn't over extend and they know about center line too. let's say i come at somebody with a fake jab ,body change and reverse punch i think majority of Aikido practitioner would go after locking the jab and will be knocked out by reverse punch or any other following wave of attack,

but in a hand of a master it's hard to predict.

i have nothing against Aikido but the way they practice is not helping them, i've seen 4 guys throwing themselvse in and the center guy use their momentum to throw them around but in reality if they encounter a trained person they wouldn't over extend and they know about center line too. let's say i come at somebody with a fake jab ,body change and reverse punch i think majority of Aikido practitioner would go after locking the jab and will be knocked out by reverse punch or any other following wave of attack,

but in a hand of a master it's hard to predict.

but that's also assuming that it's a punching attack. Fights can also be tackling, grabbing, strangling. Again, it all depends on how the fight is going.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Here's the thing, it's not the art, it's the fighter. Any style fighter can beat any other style fighter on any given day, or vice versa. That being said, Aikido has some very good applications. I think of styles as providing different tools that may or may not be appropriate for any given situation. The more tools you have in you're toolbox, the less likely you won't be stuck using a hammer to drive in a screw.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Although I have not studied Aikido, we use a significant amount of aikido joint locks and throwing techniques in our karate dojo.

My feeling is that Aikido would be wonderful to use in a street confrontation because I could simply say to the police officer afterward, "I barely touched him!"

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I know that if there was an aikido school in our area, I would definitely be a student. I think that aikido is extremely effective. I love shotokan and will always be a student, but find that there are some great benefits to the study of aikido.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.