• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some useful games for kids?

marie we have a belt game. We took two different colored belts and cut them into 3 16-18 inch strips. We give each student 3 belts and they place them under their belt on the left /right sides and one in back. They are placed in a sparring stance and the object is to take your opponents belts away. This is very effective at teaching them how to close the gap while sparring, not to mention it builds their confidence and they become less afraid of being hit. Good luck.

Are the kids sparring at this point, or just trying to get the belt pieces?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are just trying to get the belts, but they are required to stay in a sparring stance. We were just doing this with our beginners and our advanced and jr black belts requested to do it as well.

A couple of fun games we do with the kids at our school are:

Dice Toss - (I have no clue where the instructors got this thing), but it's a hat box-sized squishy die with "Crunches," "Push-Ups," "Pull-Ups," "Tell a Joke," etc. on each of the sides. Someone rolls the die and say it lands on "Push-Ups," then the instructor will tell the class to do 30 push-ups. You get the idea :)

Two other games we do with the kids (they don't really have names) are setting up a huge stack of pads and having them do run-jump side kicks over it and landing onto the soft gym mat on the other side. We also have them do run-jump side kicks while one of us holds a Wavemaster in place.

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

the tennis ball game.

Get about 15 tennis balls 2 throwers one target and the rest ball shaggers.

the goal for the target is to dodge or catch the thrown tennis balls. the throwers goal is to hit the target and the ball shaggers give the balls to the throwers.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

• 4 weeks later...

not sure if this counts a "GAME", but it is fun, and useful for children and adults. It promotes AWARENESS. I'll purposefully not have my gi on, and have one of the senior students begin stretching and warm-ups.

then i'll come in the room in about 5 minutes and tell them I'm going to be about another 5 minutes, i have to take a call and for them to keep keep working out. that first time i come in to tell them i'll be behind, i come in with lots of "props".

a brightly colored shirt, clipboard, big socks, specific hat, etc".you can go as crazy as you want.

then when i come in that 2nd time in my Gi, I'll ask each student to identify everything I had on.

How many times has a victim of violence gave a description that was extremly generic? the point is for them to say..oh he had ona light blue hat, green shirt, a silver watch, wedding band, band-aid on his arm, clean shaven, etc....

i think you get the point. and if you really wear something outlandish, it proves the point and can be funny at the same time.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

not sure if this counts a "GAME", but it is fun, and useful for children and adults. It promotes AWARENESS. I'll purposefully not have my gi on, and have one of the senior students begin stretching and warm-ups.

then i'll come in the room in about 5 minutes and tell them I'm going to be about another 5 minutes, i have to take a call and for them to keep keep working out. that first time i come in to tell them i'll be behind, i come in with lots of "props".

a brightly colored shirt, clipboard, big socks, specific hat, etc".you can go as crazy as you want.

then when i come in that 2nd time in my Gi, I'll ask each student to identify everything I had on.

How many times has a victim of violence gave a description that was extremly generic? the point is for them to say..oh he had ona light blue hat, green shirt, a silver watch, wedding band, band-aid on his arm, clean shaven, etc....

i think you get the point. and if you really wear something outlandish, it proves the point and can be funny at the same time.

Very nice idea. I like it.

• 2 months later...

We have our kids sometimes play a game called Green and Grey. We split the class in half and have them line up facing each other, starting maybe 10' appart. One team is green, the other is grey. They each have a line about 20' behind them which is their safe line. When the instructor calls a colour, that team has to try and tag members of the other team before they can turn and run back to their own safe line (eg if GREY is called, GREEN will turn around and run away while GREY chases them). If you are tagged you are eliminated and sit out. Also, if your team's colour is called and you take more than one step away from the other team you are eliminated. That is to prevent people from just turning and running whenever any colour is called.

As the game progresses, we have them get closer together until they are standing back to back only about a foot appart. Sometimes we'll also have them laying down in push-up position before the colour is called, or sitting back to back.

The kids love that one!

Hey that's a fantastic activity. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu