• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some useful games for kids?

I tried out the hop fight last night with my 19 kids (ages 6-14). They really enjoyed it.

I did tug of war last week. the kids never stop asking when they are going to do that again.

Thanks everyone for posting.

I am going to try the karate\kung-fu dodge ball next week.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I had a go at tug of war last night too and it went over quite well.

I also had a go at the Sensei doesn't know anything game, I think I need to try that a few more times before they fully get what I want them to do, but it's still a great idea.

Only by contrast can we see

I also had a go at the Sensei doesn't know anything game, I think I need to try that a few more times before they fully get what I want them to do, but it's still a great idea.

Yes the first couple times will be them learning how to play. After that when new students come into the class, they can learn it just from watching the rest of the class, because the core of the class will understand it. :)

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

A cool game that i use about once a month or so is called push up fight

(I think they actually use this in high school wrestling)

2 kids in push up position (heads towards each other)

after I say begin, they each try to pull the others hand out, causing the other to fall to the floor.

the kids that falls to floor or gets out of push up position loses. go best of 3.

it builds muscle, hand eye coordination and reflexes.

The kids like it.

since they are so low to the mat, that when they fall they do not get hurt. you can put bigger kids against the littler ones. thats funny to watch :D

i had an 8 yr old take down a 13 yr old twice in a row.

A terminology game we play is pretty fun for them.

We write down the English language terms for techniques, and on a similar sheet write down the Japanese word. This also is done for our Dojo Kun.

So then we give them the english words, and place the Japanese words throughout the dojo. Their goal is run around in teams (or individuals depending upon how many you've got). The team which matches their terms up correctly the fastest wins.

At the end of the game, the students still get to have some fun because they can then do a demo of the techniques they've matched up. They decide which techniques to do in the order they want to. If they have a lot of time we let them setup scenarios as well, to make it more entertaining as well as educational.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 3 weeks later...

Another cool game that I did last night: (8 yrs old on up - my teenagers really liked this one)

Set up cones to make a big rectangle.

Select 3 kids, (same gender and same size)

One kid tries to get past the other 2 kids (without getting grabbed, falling down, or the sifu saying stop) in order to get a (small) patch.

The kid trying to get the patch cannot punch or kick, only blocking to redirect the attackers arms.

The other 2 kids have to attempt to grab his shoulders or wrists and prevent the 1st kid from getting the patch. (No punching or kicking allowed, if this happens - both attackers perform 30 squad thrusts)

About 1/3 of the kids get the patch.

The key to this game is footwork, being on your toes.

Each kid should get a turn.

This teaches the kids not to stand still when 2 people attack them and grab them in the hallways of school.

Schools in NJ have a no tolerance policy for fighting. all parties involved get suspended for 5 or 10 days. no questions.

This teaches kids other options (escaping the attack and go and get a teacher) than standing toe to toe with several attackers.

the kids has a real good time with this one. I allowed them to root and yell out advice for the kid trying to get the patch. (some of the advice was impressive for kids)

So all three have to stay within the boundaries of the "triangle" setup? Or is it that the other two are on the outside?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

So all three have to stay within the boundaries of the "triangle" setup? Or is it that the other two are on the outside?

yes, the cones are pretend walls with lockers. its actually set up as a square to simulate a school hallway (with 2 attackers walking to confront the other).

I told the kids that a teacher would help protect them and stop the attack if they got to the patch area.

if the kid trying to get the patch goes outside the cones, I yell stop and they try again. this means that they hit the lockers and would have gotten caught (and then would of had to defend himself\herself and getting into trouble with the school)

the attackers should stay within the cones too, but I let it go if they went outside of them.

they each get 2-3 tries.

for any kid that get cocky (I had 1 get cocky as an attacker):

I placed 2 of the biggest kids (the older teenagers) in the class to grab him in the game. he did not get to the patch.

This provided the perfect time to explain that fights are not fair (kids won't fight you unless they think the will win). He was humbled.

he was also the 1st to ask me if we could do that again next class.

oh, as a warm up to get them doing what you want them to do, i had the kids face the cones and shuffle step to the right for 3 laps (tell them to go faster each lap) if they fall off their toes, pull them out of the line. Then switch directions.

I then entered te line myself as the first person in the line, if i caught the last person while doing the shuffle step laps, they all had to do 30 squad thrusts.

I came close to the last one in line, but never caught him because they were all trying so hard and having fun.

• 1 month later...

Anything can become fun if you make it a contest.

For exaple, if you split the kids into two lines facing eachother and have them just do basics, only they need to try to be faster, or stronger, or kick higher then the group across from them, and the slower side does push-ups or something, it is much more fun then just doing basics normaly.

Sensei says is also a favorite. (just like simon says)

Obstical courses are also fun.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

marie we have a belt game. We took two different colored belts and cut them into 3 16-18 inch strips. We give each student 3 belts and they place them under their belt on the left /right sides and one in back. They are placed in a sparring stance and the object is to take your opponents belts away. This is very effective at teaching them how to close the gap while sparring, not to mention it builds their confidence and they become less afraid of being hit. Good luck.